Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chef
Chef
Admin

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution - Page 4 Empty Re: Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:11 pm
Ryouichi raised his eyebrows. So Hiraku was going into something dangerous. Now he was curious. This mysterious man had to be involved in something that he didn't know about. He wondered if it had anything to do with the swordsmen they had encountered the other day.

"Hey, my weapons aren't for show either," he replied, grinning. "I didn't spend all those years learning the ways of the blade to become a pacifist. Surely I won't slow you down too much. Come on. What do you say?"

Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin
https://legacysociety.darkbb.com

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution - Page 4 Empty Re: Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:06 pm
Souji, reacting well, lifted his hand slightly, allowing his opponent's blade to slice beneath, missing his by mere inches. Next, he spun quickly around to the enemy's backside, his blade poised horizontally for a stab.

"It's been a while since I have had a good duel. What is your name, warrior?" Souji asked with a grin.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:55 am
((OOC: I VOW TO POST MORE REGULARLY, IN THE NAME OF LOVE AND JUSTICE!))

Hayate dove swiftly to the left, avoiding Souji's thrust.

A duel, huh? His men are staying out of it, so I suppose that's what it is. Pride before practicality, he wants to prove his virtue through the way of the samurai. Good, I can hold out much longer against one man than I can a whole squad. I'm good, but I'm not that good.

"You know, I must admit, samurai, this fight has me feeling a bit nostalgic," Hayate said, "and for that, I suppose I'll give you my name. I am Hayate Hazama of the Kyoto police, and a former samurai of the Shogunate myself."

With that, Hayate swung with both his sword and sheath, the sword for the legs and sheath the head.

-----------------------

"I certainly hope you can live up to those words," Hiraku said, "for your own sake as well. Let's get going." The two hastily made their way to the government building.

I certainly hope Hazama's still alright, I don't want that cryptic letter to be his last words to me. I suppose I should count myself lucky this new friend of mine is a swordsman as well. I'm not sure just what I'm up against, and just have to hope this little plan of Hayate's pulls through.

The building they arrived at looked like bad memory from the Bakumatsu. The Shinsengumi had been very thorough and taken many lives here. It was clear that they were a force to be reckoned with.

Hiraku stopped, removed the flare gun from his pocket and fired it into the sky as Hayate's letter directed. "It probably won't be long before we run into trouble," he said to his ally, "keep your guard up and don't die on me."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:48 am
Souji's eyes widened in surprise that Hayate Hazama had been in the Shogun's army before the end of the Bakumatsu. Backpedaling to avoid the sheath and blade of his enemy, he stared into his eyes.

"I would have thought you would have been a Ishiin Shishi... but..." Souji stopped for a moment. "... but you were a soldier of the Shogun? Now you are here working as the Meiji's lapdog.. bearing no honor as it was taken ten years ago."

Souji got back into a stance of the Tennen Rishin-ryu and blasted his fighting Ki forth. With his Hitokiri's eyes of gold, he stared down his enemy.

"I always tell my opponent my name during a duel, so I shall now as well. My name is Okita Souji, commander over the first squad of the Shinsengumi. I will restore your fallen honor through your death."
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:00 pm
Ryouichi followed Hiraku to the government building, not even sure what the reason for the visit was. All he knew was that this was urgent business. When they entered the building, Ryouichi could not help but let out a small gasp as he saw all the corpses littering the inside. Clearly this was the work of a group of swordsmen.

Could it be... Ryouichi thought to himself. Those men from yesterday? The Shinsengumi?

Ryouichi put his hand on his blade, his eyes dark and face solemn.

"Those...monsters," he said. "How can a human being kill so many without remorse?"

Ryouichi watched as Hiraku pulled out what looked to be a flare gun and fired it into the sky. He didn't even question the action, as he was guessing the man knew what he was doing. All he had to do was follow Hiraku's lead and be wary. Whatever was going to happen next, Ryouichi would be ready for it.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 pm
As Souji dueled by the steps to the second floor of the Police Headquarters, those of the Shinsengumi below waited patiently. Their uniforms of light blue and white were spattered with crimson blood. Their foes lie dead in pools of their own life in that, and the other rooms of the building. All was quiet except for the clangs of Souji's and Hayate's blades. However, outside, a single pop caught their attention. Nagakura Shimpachi turned abruptly and looked out a high window to the courtyard.

Their new recruits stood there waiting for the duel to be over, however their heads craned as they all looked to the sky. Shimpachi called out to the others to follow, which they did. As they exited to the courtyard, they viewed a flare, rising slowly into the heavens... something was wrong. Kondo Isami looked to Shimpachi and frowned, knowing his comrades all thought the same thing.

"Police Reinforcements? Who called them?" Isami asked rhetorically.

Looking to the new recruits, Kondo pointed toward their hideouts location and ordered them all to silently make their way there and wait for their return. The supposed superior to the defector police who joined the Shinsengumi bowed low and ran out of the premises with the others. Shimpachi suggested that they hold their positions outside, blocking the passages inside the HQ, until Souji was finished. If anything went wrong inside, Onibasu was still there overlooking the duel.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 am
Hayate grinned. "Okita, you said you'd restore my fallen honor through my death?" he said, "Well, that's very generous of you, but, as a policeman, to protect the peace of Kyoto comes before my honor, so I'm afraid I can't die yet. You're still free to try, however, this fight is not over." When he finished, Hayate entered a defensive stance and waited for Souji's next move.

--------------------

"Killing becomes easier the more you do it," Hiraku said, "and the Shinsengumi have killed many." Hiraku opened the door to see three men in Shinsengumi uniforms descending the stairs. They quickly noticed him and Ryouichi and readied their swords and advanced toward them. Hiraku put his hand on the hilt of his sword and charged forward. As the Shinsengumi attacked, so did he, and they finished with their backs turned to one another. Hiraku turned around to see he had brought down the man he attacked, but noticed a small cut on his arm. Damn, he thought, I must be getting rusty.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:35 am
"The Shinsengumi?!" Ryouichi gasped. One of the swordsmen jumped forward at lightning speed towards him before he was expecting anything, his blade pointed forward for a killing stab. Time almost seemed to go in slow motion as Ryouichi put his hands on the hilts of his two blades and ripped them out, slashing the blade aside.

"You'll pay for this murder!" Ryouichi yelled, speeding forward and slashing the Shinsengumi soldier across the chest faster than the man could react. The man clenched his stomach, but wasn't finished just yet. As blood poured out of him the soldier slashed at Ryouichi, attempting to take him down with him. Ryouichi wasn't expecting this, but managed to jump backwards in time to dodge the attack, his kimono getting slashed. If it had been any closer, he could've received a major wound. Luckily years of training as a shinobi had made him built for escaping close calls like that. The man fell forward because of his wounds and Ryouichi cut him down, ending the man's pain.

Ryouichi brought up his ninjato and tanto and eyed the last soldier closely, wondering what move he would make. Whatever the move was, it would likely cost him his life, given the circumstances. Ryouichi went into a defensive stance and stared at the man intently, awaiting his next move.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 am
Souji suddenly sheathed his sword. His stance however, stayed quite rigid. His hand rested just above the hilt of his katana. He knew, by the surprised look on Hayate's face, that he knew that Souji was a Battoujutsu user. As soon as he heard the faint yell of an order from whom he supposed in being from Isami, Souji struck forward. His speed was incredible, something that almost no Ishiin Shishi could counter during the Bakumatsu. He was famous, among few others, as a great Iai-jutsu (sword drawing technique) user.

Before Hayate even knew it, Souji nearly a foot from his face. Souji's blade, which had been sheathed mere split-seconds before, was now drawn completed, blade edge outward and ready to slice him in half. Souji's eyes were narrowed, bearing all the sadness, hatred, and regret from the Bakumatsu. He yelled an attacks name, one he hadn't used in ten long years...

"Zangeki no joushou Hiryou!" (lit translation: slash of the rising dragon)

The newer recruits to the Shinsengumi, who had been a mere three since the end of the Bakumatsu fell in the front courtyard against two swordsmen. As the Shinsengumi veterans came out to the courtyard they eyed their enemy with surprise. Luckily, their newest recruits had escaped successfully from the Police Headquarters.

Kondo Isami stepped forward and looked to their two swordsmen enemies. The one recruit who was essentially unharmed, with only a cut on his arm, lay on the ground looking up terrified at his enemy. Shimpachi sighed and wiped his brow as he spun his Yari (spear) in a hand. Toshizo Hijikata, known as the old Demon Vice-Commander (who still was), drew his own katana and kissed its shimmering blade. Sanosuke Harada drew two blades, a katana and wakizashi. Heisuke Todo sheathed his katana and handled his naginata with both hands. Keisuke Yamanami drew his own katana and looked upon his enemy. They all were the best of the Shinsengumi, Kondo Isami's legion.

"We are the Mibu Ronin, the Shinsengumi of the Isami regiment. We no longer fight for the Shogunate, but we do fight for what this country needs most in the world. We follow the creed of 'Aku Soku Zan' (slay evil immediately)." Kondo Isami proudly stated.

At that moment, one could feel all of their fighting Ki, stronger than ordinary swordsmen. They were indeed the Shinsengumi of ten years ago. One could see that they were not the evil manslayers that they were now portrayed in being, they had never killed innocent civilians, and their creed from old still stuck with them. Their minds however, were still in the Bakumatsu, and so their job wouldn't be done.

"The recruits have to be trained better.... Hijikata." Shimpachi commented as he saw the frightened excuse for a soldier beneath their enemy.

Hijikata mumbled something beneath his breath before barking out one of his famous orders.

"What are you?! A common dog, or a soldier of Mibu? Stand up and have courage!" Hijikata yelled, his expression unchanging from a hard tone.

The recruit stood up, slightly wincing as he held his shoulder. His other hand still held the hilt of his blade, and courage started to spring up through his eyes. Back-stepping, he got into a defensive position and awaited his enemies attack.

"Jeez.... this just doesn't feel right without Hajime-san..." Heisuke commented with a sigh.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm
Ryouichi glared at his new opponents. All the respect he used to have for the Shinsengumi was gone. They were no longer humans, it seemed. They wanted to topple the peaceful government with their warlike ideals and endanger everyone in the process, including innocent civilians. Though they probably didn't realize it, everyone would be affected by their attacks.

"Aku soku zan?" Ryouichi questioned. "What kind of creed is that? No one has the right to judge a human being, no matter who they are. You may believe you are helping Japan but all your are doing is destroying it!"

Ryouichi let out a battle cry and charged forward, leaping with lightning speed at the man who scolded the recruit. With intentions to kill, Ryouichi slashed outwards with his two blades, making a cross like attack that was one of his fastest and most lethal techniques. His eyes were filled with rage as he carried out his family's special attack:

"Oujou no Kousa! (Death Cross)" he yelled.

Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 pm
"Charging headlong as a bull... is not the best of strategies." Hijikata remarked.

Hijikata stepped forward with blade out. Just as his enemy was merely feet before him, he spun around, dodging the two crossed blades, and stood to his rear. The tip of his blade was faced face, jabbed into his opponents back, already slightly through the clothing and touching flesh.

"I am Hijikata Toshizo, Vice-Commander of the Shinsengumi. I believe that you are a hypocrite, swordsman. You say that no one has the right to judge... but what are you doing to the Shinsengumi right now? I will ask you a question... when have we ever endangered the innocent people of Kyoto? You are indeed police in this new regime, but we protected these streets long before any of you."
Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 pm
Ryouichi fell forward, the enemy's blade piercing his back slightly. He slammed into the ground, letting out a gasp. Struggling to get up, he turned towards the enemy, angry and furious.

"You are tearing this nation apart!" Ryouichi said, his voice shaking with anger. "You kill whoever you please as long as it is in your favor! You massacred those police men! I am not judging anything! I am simply seeing the truth before my own eyes! What you have done is murder, and I cannot let that go!"

He yelled once more, jumping into the air and bringing his two blades down in an aerial attack to slice through his enemy. His attacks were becoming more clumsy because of his uncontrolled rage, but a new strength flowed through him. He wanted to stop these men.

"I will stop you even if it costs my life!" Ryouichi roared as he plunged down towards the Shinsengumi soldier.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:10 pm
Hijikata took his blade from the man's back calmly and allowed him to jump into the air. As he brought the blades down, he took out his short blade and parried both with that. His katana swung through the air, catching his opponent slightly on the arm before he jumped away. The sleeve of the enemy tore off to show a long slice, shallow and not deep. A trickle of blood slowly flowed down his arm. Hijikata sheathed his short blade and held his Katana in a defensive stance.

"Have I really done all the wrong, or has the Shinsengumi done all that wrong? Yes, we took down the police squadron that came to the Shirobeko... but it was in defense. You know that those we target are corrupted, and you know that this government is corrupted. Here is the sad truth, swordsman, the Bakumatsu has not ended yet. Ten years have gone by, allowing this Meiji government to slowly destroy what Japanese culture we have left. This time, what you call peace, is nothing but a mirage... and we plan to show just what this country really is turning into." Hijikata said.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm
Ryouichi gasped in pain and clenched the cut on his arm. He was lucky it was nothing major enough to immobilize one of his arms. He needed both of them to fight effectively. He clenched his teeth together in anger. This man's ideas were all wrong! He wouldn't listen to a corrupted Shinsengumi soldier! Ryouichi turned and faced the man, staring directly at his eyes.

"You can't live in the past forever!" Ryouichi snapped back. "I agree there are some corrupt men leading the government, but the same thing goes for any other government. Killing them causes nothing but chaos and uproar! I have learned Imperialists as well, but I will not resort to killing people just because I don't like their ideals. Years ago they massacred my family and I hated them for it. Before I would do anything for revenge but now I see the truth. If I give in to that hate and kill just like they have, I am simply becoming one and the same with them. Imperialist or Shinsengumi, I don't care; a murderer the same no matter what faction they belong to. The only reason there isn't any peace is because people like you exist!"

Ryouichi sheathed his tanto and quickly threw two kunai at the man. As the knives flew through the air, Ryouichi used a two hand grip on his ninjato and prepared to do an upwards slash. He had to defeat this man! He had to stop this madness!
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm
Hijikata unsheathed his shortblade once more, blocking both kunai and knocking them aside into the dirt. He sheathed it just as quickly as before, and charged forward, two hands upon the hilt of his katana. His eyes flashed as the blades, clanged into a deadlock.

"You are a fool! What you are doing is no different than us. Whomever disagrees with the new mandate gets crushed? We follow the old, you follow the new! Both is violence, and the sword is the only way to bring change, positive or negative! Just as I am trying to kill you, you are trying to kill me. Don't throw yourself into denial... WE ARE ALL MURDERERS!" Hijikata yelled.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 pm
Hayate ducked down just in time to narrowly avoid Souji's blade, although it did take his hat. He smiled again, "Why, Mr. Souji," he said, "you've ruined my hat. Truly, this is unforgivable. I will have my revenge." Quickly, and from a close distance, Hayate swung his sheath at Souji's side, delivering a light strike and dove back. "That was a fine battoujutsu, Mr. Souji, but I've seen that technique many times. It was my old sparring partner's favorite technique. He should be here right now, in fact, so if you'd like to, you could meet him," he said, "but only if you can survive long enough."

----------------------

"Just shut up," Hiraku said, "both of you. Ryouichi, if you continue to fight like that, this man will have no trouble killing you. Calm yourself and focus that anger of yours, I know you're more skilled than this. As for the rest of you," he continued, returning to his battoujutsu stance, "I don't care how many of you come at me, I've no intention of dying here either way."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:33 pm
Souji jumped back and smirked. He hadn't had this much fun in quite a long time. The last time was probably ten years ago during the end of the Bakumatsu when he and Hajime had a friendly duel at the HQ. Holding his katana in one hand, he got back into a fighting stance.

"Truly, I am honored to fight someone as skilled as yourself, Hayate-san. Good swordsmen are rarities in this Meiji era, sadly." Souji said.

Back in the courtyard, the fighting went on. Moments before Hijikata was attacked by the enemy, he ordered his recruit to retreat back to their HQ. Once he did so... the real battle started. Shimpachi and the others still stood, barring the way into the HQ, where Souji was deep into a duel. Kondo Isami moved forward and eyes their enemy who had yet to make a move. Looking at his stance, he surmised that they were a Battoujutsu user. Isami drew his own katana and approached his opponent. He bowed slightly in respect.

"I am Kondo Isami, commander of the Shinsengumi. I will be your opponent, swordsman."

Kondo, was indeed one of the three founders of the Shinsengumi. He was also an original member of their past group called the Roshingumi. He was known, throughout the Bakumatsu of being a very cheerful and light-hearted man. His attitude, when not in battle, was almost always jovial, which is in stark contrast to his own Vice-Commander's. However, his skill in war was undeniable.

Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm
Ryouichi didn't know how to respond to the man as they got caught in the deadlock. This man couldn't be right, but for some reason Ryouichi wanted to believe him. Confused and enraged thoughts flowed through his head until he pushed the swordsman away and jumped back a good distance away from the man to catch his breath. His eyes were filled with rage until he heard Hiraku's voice. After hearing the man's words, he snapped out of his crazed trance.

Ryouichi looked over at Hiraku, nodding. He's right, Ryouichi thought to himself. If I continue to be reckless I won't accomplish anything aside from getting myself killed. I have to focus. I can beat this man... I know it. Ryouichi closed his eyes for a short moment, opening them once again, his eyes much more piercing and focused than before. He let the rage flow out of him until he felt he was ready to continue this battle. He looked at the man he had been fighting this whole time.

"Your words are as empty as your soul," Ryouichi said, his voice calm and level. "Now enough talk! Let's finish this, swordsman. Let's see who the better man is..."

Ryouichi pulled out his tanto and got into a more defensive stance. This time the Shinsengumi swordsman could take the move. If he could time his defenses right, Ryouichi could deal a counter attack, as he was taught long ago by his father. He just had to stay calm and aware of his surroundings and his opponent...

King Calamity
King Calamity

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 pm
"Yeah, yeah," Hayate sighed, "'The shameful new era.' Not everyone is suited to the ecstasy of near death, Mr. Souji. I, however," Hayate charged at Souji and swung at his side again, "can't get enough."

---------------------------

Hiraku looked carefully at his opponent. It didn't appear he would make the first move, so Hiraku charged at him with a battoujutsu attack for his chest.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 pm
Hijikata sighed and prepared to attack, he knew that his opponent wouldn't be the one to attack first. Readying his blade, he moved his feet apart in the dirt, as if he were about to run. His blade suddenly was poised horizontally, he was in the Gatotsu stance.

"Remember, in the era we are in now, the only way we are ever able to wash away blood, is with more blood." Hijikata yelled as he started his charge.

Kondo Isami brought his blade out in front of him, gripping the hilt with both hands. The blade faced downward vertically, blocking the Iai-jutsu attack that his opponent used. As the blades were locked together, he found himself slowly being forced back from the attack. In response, Isami pushed forward, turning the blade edge first and then putting his other hand on its blunt side. Giving a bellow, he pushed forward with all his might, sending the opponent back.

"Isn't it proper manners for two warriors to introduce themselves?" Isami asked.

Souji swiped aside Hayate's blade just barely, from his side with his Wakizashi. The fringe of his haori was slightly nicked, and teared at the edge of the katana blade. Beneath his breath, Souji cursed... that fabric wasn't easy to replace. Swinging around, his Katana, which was held in his other hand, swung upward in a slash from Hayate's hip to shoulder.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum