Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Oberon
Oberon
http://rpgfrontier.net

Chapter 2: The Road to Balmora Empty Chapter 2: The Road to Balmora

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 am
The three travelers set out the following morning for Balmora, their purses substantially heavier than before. Narsil tossed a coin into the air and caught it, humming to himself in good humor.

"The way this has been going, we'll be local legends in no time," he said, thinking back to the grateful villagers of Seyda Neen. He and the others had been quite happy to learn that there was a reward for the smugglers, dead or alive. The profits made from selling the scum's weapons and armor had added even more lining to their purses.

"I could get used to this," Narsil decided with a grin. "What about you two? Think of it: just a few warriors, doing a good deed by eradicating smuggling everywhere. And selling the smuggled goods on the side," he added with a smirk. "We get our purses lined both ways." He glanced at Thalmir. "You don't have a probelm with that, do you?"
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin
https://legacysociety.darkbb.com

Chapter 2: The Road to Balmora Empty Re: Chapter 2: The Road to Balmora

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:21 am
Thalmir made a small grin. He glanced to Narsil as they moved and responded.

"I am only on orders from the Emperor to protect you on your journey, whatever you do, aside from murder of the innocent, is not within my jurisdiction. You may do as you please, Master Narsil."

Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:25 pm
Jethro laughed at Narsil's remarks.

"Money is always good, no matter what, I say," he said to them. "We'll be filthy rich by the end of this little journey, I believe! I couldn't have taken a better job to get back on my feet again."

Jethro looked over at Thalmir, as they went along, smirking.

"Someone's formal!" Jethro said, laughing. "Well, at least you have some manners. I'm sure we'll meet plenty of people who don't and only care about money above all else!"

Jethro scratched his chin for a moment.

"That sounds strangely a lot like myself, but that's not the point!" he said, trying to redeem himself.
Oberon
Oberon

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm
Narsil chuckled. "Don't disparage yourself too much, Jethro," he said. "All of that is true, but that doesn't make you a bad person." He looked up at a signpost fixed at the side of the road. "According to this, we should reach Moonmoth Legion Fort in a couple of hours," he said. "That's the Imperial fort near Balmora, isn't it?"
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 pm
"Sounds like it," Jethro said, putting his hands behind his head and stretching as they walked. "Don't trust my judgement, though. I haven't wandered around Morrowind in a long, long time. I guess it was partly my curiosity when it came to how much money was in the pockets of travelers that got me into a fix like that."

Jethro looked around the landscape as they walked, sighing. He finally felt free for once. He was actually quite enjoying this trip, even though it had just begun. Somehow he felt they would encounter many things that he would never forget.

"Well, I'm glad we're only two hours away," Jethro said. "I can't wait to take a look around the place when we arrive."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm
An Imperial Fort, eh?" Thalmir asked in surprise. "Maybe I can get us a couple of good rooms from there, being a envoy for the Emperor. I am sure they shall show the utmost hospitality."

Thalmir hadn't been in Morrowind before, however just knowing that there were a few Imperials even in this land, made him feel a little less alone. As he looked to the scenery, it was hard to imagine a Imperial style buildings sitting there, as everything else looked so... exotic compared to the lands of Cyrodiil.
Oberon
Oberon

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:54 pm
They reached Fort Moonmoth as night began to fall. Narsil hailed one of the archers on the wall. "Ahoy there! Dispatch from Sellus Gravius for the legion commander!"

"Open the gates!" ordered the archer. The portcullis rose, and Narsil and his companions entered.

"Fancy robbing this place?" Narsil muttered to Jethro as they entered.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:57 am
"Oh, don't tempt me, Narsil," Jethro joked as they walked along inside the great fort. "It'd be one hell of a challenge, but nothing I couldn't handle! I fancy myself the greatest thief in the land, after all!"

Jethro suddenly quieted himself when he realized that these Imperials probably wouldn't want that kind of talk around here. It was probably best to keep quiet about such things. Jethro had no idea how they would treat vagrants around here. Some barbaric means of torture, probably!

"Er, forget that," Jethro said, scratching his head and chuckling a little nervously. "These Imperials are far too scary to mess with."
Oberon
Oberon

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am
Narsil chuckled. "I suspected you'd say something like that. Still, regardless of the Imperials' attitude, we won't have to stay here long. After we've gotten some rests, it's straight to Balmora with us."

The Imperials led Jethro and Narsil to a bunkroom, taking Thalmir aside for what was no doubt some sort of secret conference. Narsil lay back on his bunk. "I suppose we'd better rest while we can," he said.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:23 pm
As Thalmir was called into a Legion briefing room, he sat down with all the forts brass. Officers of the Imperial Legion stationed in Morrowind sat down at a large circular table in a brightly lit stone chamber. A high steel chandelier lit a vaulted ceiling above them. As Thalmir took a seat, the master-at-arms, Radd Hard-Heart, stood up and faced their contact.

"Let us begin the debriefing." Hard-Heart simply said.

Chef
Chef
Admin

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:38 pm
"So much for snooping around," Jethro said to Narsil, yawning. "Oh well. That can wait for another time, eh?"

Jethro fell down spread eagle style onto his bed, trying to get as comfortable as possible. He hadn't slept in a bed in a while, so this was almost a dream. He put his hands behind his head, staring up at the ceiling. Jethro was very grateful that he was chosen for this journey. Who knew what kinds of things they would see or get into? It was proven that a lot of fighting was going to be waged as well, due to their encounter with those bandits.

"Good times are awaiting," Jethro said to himself, closing his eyes and grinning.

Oberon
Oberon

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 pm
Hard-Heart opened the meeting with a report on the Legion's current status in Morrowind. "My friends," he said simply, "our circumstances, while not dire, are unfortunate. Although we have received faithful military support from House Redoran in defending outlying villages from the Blight creatures, we have not been entirely able to maintain law and order in the cities. The Thieves Guild is well enough: they are not known for violent crime. But my worthless brother Sjoring, head of the Guild of Fighters, has aided and abetted the local Dunmer organization known as the Camonna Tong."

Hard-Heart took a deep breath. "The Camonna Tong are staunch supporters of slavery, and they have a great deal of sympathy among the local Dunmer. Although we know their hideouts and the names of most of their agents, we have been unable to garner sufficient proof of their activities. Larrius Varro, our garrison commander, has more to say on this subject."

A man fully garbed in Imperial armor stood and nodded to the others. "The Camonna Tong are particularly active in Balmora," he said. "We've received recent reports that Ralen Hlaalo, a Hlaalu noble and Imperial sympathizer, was murdered by one of their agents. Of course, the rumors also implicate a Blade in this conspiracy. We cannot be sure of our proof. Perhaps working inside the law is limiting us too much." Varro shrugged his metal-plated shoulders and sat. "Of this, we must talk more another time. I see we have a prominent agent of the Emperor among us tonight." He nodded to Thalmir.

"Thalmir Windshadow, your reputation has preceded you," said Hard-Heart with a nod of acknowledgement. "We have recently been informed that you accompany a prisoner released by personal order of Emperor Uriel Septim. What is your opinion of this man? The Emperor seems to think that he could be construed as some sort of resurrected hero of the local Dunmer. What is the man like?"
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 pm
Thalmir stood up and cleared his throat before speaking of his experiences.

"Before I start, I would like to thank you for your kind words, Commander Varro. Now, to the topic at hand. The prisoner released is known as Narsil Strongwind. I believe that indeed, our Lord does see something within this man that I do not. However, even if I cannot see such a glimmer of light, I respect our Emperor's wishes to protect him, and that I shall until death does take me." Thalmir said. He took off his glimmering helmet and let it on the table before him. "Strongwind, I deem as being a proud fellow, and a capable fighter. Though his mind seems muddled and I don't know if even he knows what his mission is, I still must follow him. His moral values are... lacking, I suppose you can say. I am sure you can figure out what I refer to."
Oberon
Oberon

Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 pm
Hard-Heart gave a somewhat thin smile. "Most adventurers are these days. Still, if he was in the Imperial prisons, I would not expect him to have the morals of a Knight of the Garland. Those may come in time, but they may not. For better or for worse, he is free." he nodded to Thalmir. "Will you need supplies on your road? Ask for whatever supplies you need, and we will provide you with them. I know not if this is a good idea, but it is not the job of the Legion to question the Emperor's will. Report to the Quartermaster and he will see that you are well supplied."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:58 pm
Thalmir bowed low to them and took his leave. Putting his helmet below the crook of his arm, he left the vaulted meeting room and walked down the hallway toward the living quarters. As he saw Narsil and Jethro, he nodded with a smile and lay his possessions upon a open bed.

"Narsil, Jethro.. this is the one place that I don't permit you steal from... in case you were thinking of it. Our Imperial friends were kind enough to give us housing from the dangers of the wild, please, do not sully their generosity." Thalmir stated as he flopped down onto his mattress and curiously gazed at an interesting painting by his bedside.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:16 pm
Jethro opened his eyes and looked over at Thalmir, laughing. This guy was uptight after all! He wondered what had happened when he was gone, though Jethro eventually determined that he didn't care enough to pry. It was probably something concerning the party, but it more or less would probably concern Narsil. Jethro hoped they weren't talking about him, at least, because that would probably mean they didn't forget his little old prison break.

"Oh, don't get so worked up about it," Jethro joked to Thalmir. "Your Imperial friends are way too intimidating to mess around with anyways. Gods know what they do to thieves!"

Oberon
Oberon

Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:30 pm
"I would suppose they put them in jail. After all, this is Civilization. They can't just chop off your hands or head like they used to." Narsil leaned back on his pillow with a grin. "Well, better get some sleep. Balmora is only an hour's walk away, but who knows what we'll have to do there?" He closed his eyes. At least it's better than prison, he thought blearily.

They woke as the sun rose that morning and picked up the packs the Quartermaster had set out for them. Narsil pulled out a loaf of bread and took a bite. "Not bad," he said. "Probably better than they give most travelers."

They headed to the gate, where a group of guards were standing in formation. Varro was at the head, mounted on a black horse. He nodded to Thalmir "Greetings. I have something to discuss with you as you travel to Balmora." He nodded to the guards, who began raising the portcullis. "Do you mind if I travel with you?"

"Not at all," said Narsil. At the very least, he'll help keep bandits off our backs.

"Good," said Varro in satisfaction. He nudged his horse forward, and waved a gauntleted hand. "Close the gates!"

As the portcullis descended and the companions moved forward, Varro addressed the three. "I need your help," he said solemnly.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 pm
Thalmir awoke early that morning and dressed into his armor. After slipped on his shining gauntlets, he fit his stallion-hair topped helm upon his head. When they headed out from the fort that day, Balmora as their destination, Thalmir walked alongside everyone else. As Varro trotted past upon his steed and greeted Thalmir, he nodded.

"Commander Varro, good morning." He greeted back politely.

As they talked, Varro suddenly asked for help, piquing Thalmir's interest.

"Help you say? Did something happen?"
Oberon
Oberon

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 am
"Something has happened," said Varro grimly. "You remember that I mentioned the death of Ralen Hlaalo. Something has to be done, but, as I said, we have no proof. Short of cold-blooded murder, we can do nothing... and I doubt the Legion would approve of known association with the Morag Tong, or worse, the Dark Brotherhood." He looked hard at Narsil. "This is where you come in."

Varro took a deep breath. "I know that what I am about to ask you is illegal, and perhaps distasteful. It is why I chose to ride with you. If my soldiers knew that I condoned this, my authority would be gone." He sighed. "I considered demanding that Nolus Atrius be brought to trial. But, as the magistrate, he would try himself... and we know how that would end. He's been taking bribes from the Camonna Tong to remain silent. However, we no longer have time to worm information about him out of Atrius. They have already struck."

Varro's gaze hardened. "Narsil Strongwind. I cannot promise you a reward for this task, nor can I even promise that you will be safe from the law in this. But I have a task for you. The Camonna Tong must be stopped, at any cost. I want you to find them... and kill them all."

Narsil stared. He opened his mouth, and then shut it, finally managing to say "Me? You want... me to do this?"

"I know it is much to ask of you, but yes," said Varro. "The Emperor will be grateful for this, I am sure."

Narsil thought on the question for the moment. There was much at stake. But the Emperor freed me, he thought. To do him this service is no dishonor.

"I accept," he said quietly.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:06 pm
Jethro listened to everything Varro said with little attention, though he got the main picture. They would have to kill a few people, and it would be illegal. Jethro chuckled a bit. He didn't have a problem with this proposition. In fact, it sounded like it could be quite fun.

"Wonderful, more people to fight," Jethro said, grinning. "I'm glad I chose to listen to the Emperor and come with you, Narsil. Trouble like this seems to follow you!"

Noticing this was probably a bad time to be laughing about such a thing lightly, Jethro quieted down. As excited as he was, he'd just have to bottle it up so that the others wouldn't get angry or think he was crazy. Jethro yawned and waited until they would finally get moving.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum