Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
King Calamity
King Calamity

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution Empty Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:39 pm
Daisuke lit a cigarette as he spoke to the government official at the other end of the table. "You don't seem to understand, Mr. Naoki," he said, taking a drag, "I invited you here to tell you to cease your work."

"Whatever do you mean?" the man asked him.

"I mean, you should retire," Daisuke said, "if you know what's good for you."

"Why, Mr. Katsuo," Naoki stammered, "That sounds like a threat."

"That's because it was, sir." Daisuke said, his voice cool with indifference to the official, "You will cease your policies if you do not wish to die tonight."

Naoki's eyes widened, "It is rather foolish to threaten me in my own home," he said as one of his bodyguards stepped forward.

"I see," Daisuke said, and with that he drew his kodachi and lunged across the table to run Naoki through. Before the bodyguard could react, Daisuke drew his katana and sliced into his chest. He stood up and stabbed the bodyguard through the heart, and turned to his associates.

"Our reinforcements should enter the building any moment now," he said, "remember, our objective is to clear the mansion of all witnesses and leave the scene before the police arrive. We cannot be discovered yet." Daisuke threw his cigarette to the ground and doused it with his foot, and he and his associates cut through the door of the room and killed their way out of the mansion.

----

Hiraku stepped into the restaurant and sat down. He had just arrived in Kyoto, and needed a bit of rest. After ordering his food, he sat back and began to shut his eyes, but a conversation next to him caught his attention.

"Did you hear? They say Kouta Naoki was murdered in his home last night."

"Good riddance, the man was a fool with no pride who was trying to westernize the country."

"Say what you will of him, but I heard all of his bodyguards and servants were murdered as well."

All of his servants... Hiraku thought to himself, sounds like whoever did this didn't want any witnesses. I'll have to look into this...

Hiraku's thoughts were interuppted when a waitress arrived with his meal. "Ah, thank you," he said with a smile. He began to eat, and continued to listen to his surroundings.

((OOC: Ok, so this is pretty similar to SW. Just do what you want, just don't OP or anything like that, and you can fight one another, help one another, all that stuff. GO!))
Chef
Chef
Admin

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution Empty Re: Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm
Ryouichi Shinobu pulled his dark hood and mask over his head, covering his face. He was wearing dark robes and light clothes. He had dark gauntlets on, with his sleeves tucked in them, and he had his two companions, a tanto and a ninjato, sheathed on his side. It was about mid-day, with the sun about to set. It would have been smarter to go at night, but Ryouichi couldn't wait any longer. He looked both ways on the street of Kyoto and began to run stealthily down it, his eyes filled with intent. Today was the day that he would get his revenge on the officer, Daichi Ayumu, that ordered the deaths of his parents. They would pay. They would learn the the Shinobu Clan was still alive.

After a few minutes of running, he made it to Ayumu's house. It was guarded by two soldiers who were marching around the precinct, muskets at the ready. The house was not large, but it was obvious that there would be a couple inside as well. This would not be an easy task, but it had to be done. There was an open window on the roof that led inside. Once he took care of the guards around the house, it would be easy to sneak in and eliminate any possible ways of alerting his presence.

When the coast was clear, Ryouichi ran quickly forward, his steps silent, and planted himself around one of the walls of the house, looking around the corner for a guard. One of the two guards was right in his sight. He silently went forward and hit the man in the back of the neck with a sharp blow from his hand, knocking him out cold. He dragged him into a bush and continued his trek around the wall. He went against the wall again and looked around the corner. He gasped as the man was right in front of him when he went around the corner.

Before the man could yell, Ryouichi thrust his hand forward, catching the man's face, and knocking him backwards, slamming his head into the ground, knocking the man out and probably causing a concussion of some sort. "That was too close," Ryouichi said, wiping the sweat that accumulated on his brow. "I must not stop now. I am too close to victory."

Ryouichi climbed onto the roof of the official's building and peered through the open window. The interior of the room looked like any other Japanese house, except for the fact that the man he was ready to kill was sitting in the center of it at a wooden desk, writing something, probably a letter. There appeared to be no one else in it except for a man who wore a white, loose kimono and had black hair that was tied back in a ponytail. He had his back against the wall and appeared to be resting his eyes. "What a sorry excuse for a guard," Ryouichi thought to himself. "Time to make my move."

He jumped through the window of the room and landed right in the center of the room. Daichi Ayumu immedietely jumped from his seat and backed against the wall in fear. He was a round man, with a finely trimmed mustache and short hair.

"Wh-who are you?" he asked in fright. "What are you doing in my home?"

Ryouichi turned to the man, his eyes gleaming in the candle-light. He drew his ninjato and tanto, holding them in the fashion of the unknown Akuma Nakami stye.

"I'm here to avenge the Shinobu clan you murdered ten years ago!" he exclaimed, suddenly jumping forward to stab the man. From out of nowhere a katana appeared in front of him and blocked his thrust, sending him back. It was the man in the white kimono. Ryouichi frowned and looked at the man. He seemed to be good with the sword and had the stance of a regular practitioner.

"Bold move," the man said with a smile. "You must have forgotten I was here. My feelings are hurt."

Daichi cowered in the corner. "Hayato!" he said with fear. "Please don't let him kill me!"

"Get out of my way now," Ryouichi said to the man named Hayato in a low voice, "Or I will have to kill you as well."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I will stay where I please," Hayato replied with a hint of anger in his voice. "If you want to kill him, you will have to take your chances against me first."

"So be it," Ryouichi said. His blades flashed forward as he lunged towards Hayato. He would not let any samurai get in his way of accomplishing his mission.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin
https://legacysociety.darkbb.com

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution Empty Re: Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:42 pm
The night was unusually dark. The only thing that lit up the long streets of Kyoto was a moon, hued with the color of blood, a sullen red. The homes along the street were all traditional from the old Edo period, essentially, not much had changed there since the Bakumatsu. The city was still the most dangerous place to be in Japan. And in the middle of the night, four silhouettes walked briskly down an empty street, surprisingly void of any police. They seemed to wear, from the shadows cast onto the road behind, loose kimonos and short overcoats. Their hakamas fluttered slightly in the wind, and their sandal'd feet dully thumped on the ground as they stepped. Their hair was tied up in ponytails or samurai styled queues. The one in the front sported a short pontytail himself.

But the most obvious thing that set these men apart was what they carried with their obi sashes. Japanese swords, Katana... a weapon outlawed to all aside from the Police forces since the end of the Bakumatsu. Yet no one bothered to stop these men because of a second weapon they held, every single one of them... ki. Anyone could see it in their eyes, narrow and indifferent to the world. Police tried to stay away from anyone who had these eyes, which would instantly strike fear into an enemy. Ki, was the sign of a skilled swordsmen.. and for many, a sign of bloodlust.

As the small group of men passed beneath a sliver of moonlight, their features were shown. They all wore shades of grey, and most horrifying of all, an emblem that was meant to frighten those who have seen it, the Shinsengumi attire was back, and upon the backs of their overcoats, which were white and lightblue, was the Clan Emblem of the Tokugawas.

Most citizens who lived through the Bakumatsu would rather forget that immoral era. It was a time of mass bloodshed, and those that lived through were seen as demons in the flesh, at least if they fought for the Shogunate. But demon was never a proper word to describe those men who fought within the Shogunates special forces, the Shinsengumi. They were feared globally as efficient killers, and nearly all Revolutionaries who fought one, fell to their blades. One of the worst managed to live, his name... was Okita Souji, the Captain of the First Unit.

The Shinsengumi in the front was none other than that man. Souji, with his eyes narrowed as a hawks. When angered, many have said that they are the color of gold and blazed like a furnace. He was named, and still reffered as the "Slayer Wolf" or "Kirikami" for short. He, by the age of 18, had mastered every technique in the Tennen Rishin-Ryu style of combat and swordsmenship.. and he was feared as one of the greatest swordsmen during the Bakumatsu.

He hadn't been heard from since the end, along with his entire First Unit, which was proven to have lived through the war. However now, it seems he has started to move again.

Souji and his squad of four neared a last building within a dead end street just off the main boulevard. They all stood, marred in the shadows, facing a lone house, surprisingly fashioned to look modernized and western, with a high peaked roof and wood siding. Souji put a hand up, at once having his men stand still. He walked toward the front door and knocked. When it was answered, a butler came forward. A look of terror overcame his face as he looked upon the guests at the threshold. With speed almost untraceable by the human eye, a short blade came from Souji's left hand and impaled the butler through the chest. The tip of the blade, dripping crimson blood onto the floor, protruded menacingly from the Butler's back.

Souji waved a hand, his followers approached the house. A simple order came from Souji at that moment.

"Aku Soku Zan (Bring Death to Evil Immediately)."

His squad nodded and drew their own blades, a plethora of Katana, nodachi, wakizashi, and kodachi shimmered horribly in the moonlight that came through the homes windows. Souji started to climb a swirling staircase by himself, now drawing his katana, named "Kikuichi-Monji". A lone pair of doors led into a single room at the top. Souji could hear the muffled screams from whomever lived in the rooms below dying before the Shinsengumi intruders. Souji opened the doors and entered the room. In a corner, cowering in fear, was a lone man with a balding head and a short mustache. He wore a pair of pajamas and a nightcap. Souji entered the room and stood firmly in the middle, looking down at the man.

"Are you Keniichiro Umaeda, Senator of the first province of Kyoto?" Souji asked, his eyes in the hue of gold. His voice was low and foreboding.

"Y--yes... I am." The man started. He shook all over as he saw the emblem of the Shogunate and the Shinsengumi. "Yo-you should know that carrying swords i-is forbidden!"

Souji heard himself chuckle at this comment and stepped forward, his blade in one hand, it's glimmering blade fatefully ready to draw blood. Souji took it's hilt and held it in two hands and aimed it directly outward. His feet parted as if he were going to charge, and charge he did. The floorboards below his feet creaked once, and with terrifying speed, Souji plunged his blade straight through the man's neck. A splurt of blood came out, dirtying the wall in an arc of red behind him. Souji slid his blade out from the man's throat and wiped the blood off the blade with a white cloth. He looked with disgust down at the dead man below him, who was slumped against the wall.

"The times are changing Mr. Senator... the Shinsengumi will bring back the Old Regime." Souji said before sheathing his katana and heading out of the room to meet his compatriots outside of the now desolate home.

Last edited by BleachKing on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Chef
Chef
Admin

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:36 pm
Hayato's eyes flashed as Ryouichi charged at him with his ninjato and tanto. In an instant he dodged out of the way with the speed of the samurai, catching Ryouichi off-guard. He turned again towards Hayato, taking a more defensive stance, as he expected the samurai to make his move. Ryouichi frowned. This was strange. He didn't understand why there would be a samurai guarding someone in the police force. Wasn't that exactly what they were trying to get rid of?

"Your skills are exceptional," Ryouichi said to Hayato. "I have to say that I am impressed that there are still some around here who know their way around the sword. You have no meaning to protect this man. Leave now. You have a future ahead of you; this man doesn't."

Hayato laughed raising his katana and hefting it on his shoulder.

"It's not that easy," he replied with a grin. "You see, I took this job for money, and if I fail, I don't get any of it; it's that simple. Enough with these words, though. Prepare yourself, and get ready for a true duel!"

Hayato charged right at Ryouichi with his sword above his head and slashed at him vertically. Ryouichi brought both his blades up and blocked them at the intersection of the two blades. He pushed the man back and swung horizontally with his ninjato, catching the man in the chest a little, drawing some blood. Hayato took a few steps back to grab his chest, but roared and jumped back in the battle, unleashing a flurry of attacks.

Ryouichi barely blocked a few of the strikes, but made it through the attack without much of a problem, but Hayato suddenly spun around in a circle and slashed at him with all his might. The sword hit Ryouichi in the left shoulder, leaving a deep gash, though it wouldn't hinder any of his movements. Hayato laughed as Ryouichi grabbed the wound after sheathing his tanto.

"I was beginning to think you were actually a swordsman!" he laughed. "Now I see, though. You are nothing but a blood-thirsty assassin running after a grudge that happened years ago. I know your past. I know who you are. Leave now before I am forced to finish you."

Ryouichi slowly stood up and unsheathed his tanto.

"You are mistaken, Mr. Samurai," he replied cooly. "I was only getting started. Now I see your flaws and this time there will be no more mistakes."

"You little..." Hayato said with anger. He charged towards Ryouichi and swung horizontally, meaning to lop the man's head off, but gasped as his sword hit nothing but air. Ryouichi crouched just before the blow landed and smashed in the stomach with the hilt of his tanto and kicked him backwards. Hayato struggled to get up after the blow only to see Ryouichi charging at him with both his blades about to strike simultaneously. He raised his sword just in time to block the attack, but now the swords were locked together and the contest was now one of strength.

Ryouichi pushed against the opponents blades as hard as he could, trying to overcome him, perspiration running over his face. Hayato had a fierce look as they both fought to destroy one another.

"You seem to be misled," Ryouichi said to Hayato, struggling to keep his sword up. "I did not come for your life; only for Daichi Ayumu, no one else."

Ryouichi suddenly pulled his tanto back and slashed Hayato in the lower leg, causing him to fall on one knee. Right after that, Ryouichi slashed Hayato's katana away with his tanto and smashed him in the face with the hilt of his ninjato, knocking him out cold.

"Have a good night's sleep, Hayato," he said as the warrior slumped over and fell onto the wooden floor. Ryouichi turned and heard a whimper come from Dauchi as he viewed the scene. He walked over to the police officer with his blades ready and grabbed him by the collar, setting him head down on the table for his execution.

"Please don't do this, please don't," Daichi whimpered pathetically. "I don't want to die, I really don't."

Ryouichi raised his blade over the man's bent neck and gripped the sword tightly. He knew that his goal was right in front of him. He would just kill the man and get over with it and avenge his clan. He raised the blade above his head and prepared to bring it down onto the neck of his enemy...

Son, what is the most important thing to remember? Yes, we are here to protect, to serve, our country. We do not act our of hatred or anger; we act for what is best for the people. Whatever the reason, we must not endanger the people around out ordeals. Their interests are ours, and we must not endanger them. We do not kill out of anger or hatred. We only kill to protect, not to fulfill revenge. Remember this, son. No matter what happens, never turn from the teachings of the Shinobu Clan...

Ryouichi gasped as he remembered his father's words ringing in his ears. He slowly lowered his blade and Daichi looked up in fear. He was wrong this whole time. He had set out on a quest of revenge when his very own father had forbidden him to. He was such a fool!

"You are lucky," Ryouichi said to Daichi with a cool voice. "My past convictions have held me back from spilling your blood tonight. Remember the mercy of the Shinobu Clan in the future and respect it for the rest of your life, as your privilege to live is run by me. The next time I see you I might not be so kind. Farewell, murderer."

Ryouichi ran from the scene and ran into the sunset, leaving Daichi weeping on his table of fright. This battle between them was not over as long as Daichi remembered this event. Ryouichi's choice would likely stab him in the back later in life, but he didn't care. His father's will meant everything to him and by taking revenge on this man, he would be defying a direct order. Ryouichi took his mask off once he got home, and set his swords against the wall of the small tenement. His work was over for now.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm
Souji met his men outside the house after slaughtering the man whom the Shinsengumi deemed "underhanded and corrupt". The deed was not quite done however, as Souji gave a final order. He pointed at the house and turned to two of his men in particular.

"Set this building aflame, the inferno will rise to the heavens and give the sign of purification to the Lord Tokugawa." He ordered.

Two of his men nodded silently and ran into the home, spilling clear oil all over the hard wooden floors and over any furniture that they came across. Once they both came back outside, the second of the two chosen men, retrieved from a small bag, two clay pots with cloth wicks protruding from the top. They both lit the wicks on fire and tossed them through windows. At once, the oil on the floor met with the fire and the flames grew large. The loud crackling of the fire could be heard, and the plumes of black smoke seen for miles around. The police would of course take this as a warning after finding the symbol of the Shinsengumi carved into the earth before the building.

The group soon left that street, as quickly and quietly as they had entered. The fog of night soon shrouded over their bodies and the horrible crime that they had just committed. The press would soon find out from all residents of Kyoto, that a very important Meiji politician was murdered in his home by a secret police force that was said to have been disbanded since the end of the Bakumatsu.

Indeed, a day after the incident, the entire city of Kyoto had heard of the murders and the burning down of the Senator's estate. The word Shinsengumi, forgotten for ten long years had officially resurfaced into the world, and it was regarded in fear. In the papers, headlines boldly wrote that the Shinsengumi criminals would be brought to justice quickly and without prejudice. That same day, a recommendation for the legalization of katana would be brought forth to the government, only to be quietly ignored.

The ones who committed the crime however, stayed silently in the shadows and waited for their time. Okita Souji had decided from that day that he would bring back the full force of the Shinsengumi, three hundred in all. And with his force he would bring back the Shogunate and the Tokugawa Dynasty. The Meiji would collapse, and the Old Regime would, in turn, return. The only way it seemed, to return to the days of tradition, were to bring back the horrifying chaos to Kyoto that had loomed above in the previous ten years. A new dawn was rising.

Last edited by BleachKing on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:52 pm
Amaterasu left the small village she'd been protecting. Of late, she'd been taking up odd jobs, mainly protecting villages from thieves and bandits.

There had, apparently, been some major events that happened, although she knew little of the event, as this village wasn't a common stop for travellers.

She enjoyed travelling, or at least, that's what she told people. Really, she was seeking out those who murdered her family and destroyed her home. Really, it was a fruitless search. But it gave her something to do. A reason to keep moving on. And so she went on her searches, stopping at each village, seeking information.

"Perhaps..." She spoke to no one, or perhaps, to the wind. "I should try the cities...I might be able to avail myself to some new information. Well, now's better than never to start searching the cities..."

She continued walking, her curiously white hair flowing in the breeze.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:32 pm
Blood sprayed the walls of the dojo as the Imperialist slit Father's throat, dying it crimson. Father grabbed his throat, making a sickening gurgling noise as he tried to breathe, and toppled over, drowning in a pool of his own life. Mother ran to the feet of the Imperialists and begged for their lives, but all they gave her was a stab to the head, cutting through bone and brain. My brothers, my sisters, everyone was being murdered and slain in cold blood by these cruel men.

I was hidden in the other room, peering through the thin door at the massacre. I could not believe what was happening before my eyes. I got up and walked through the door, watching as my family was being killed. I saw an Imperialist point at me and a couple men walked over to finish me off. I stood frozen, unable to move. Sheer terror paralyzed my limbs as the two men came over, sabers drawn. One lifted his sword and swung at me to cleave my head off. I jumped backwards in fear, dodging the lethal attack almost accidentally, but the sword still managed to graze my faze, leaving a horizontal cut across my face in between my eyes and the bridge of my nose.

I dived out the window of the room before they could slay me, crying in fear as blood ran down my face. I escaped the terror and ran until I was out of Kyoto. I looked back and saw smoke rising. Those dogs destroyed my home, my dojo, and killed my family. They stole everything from me. Those Imperialists will pay... They will pay with blood!

Ryouichi woke up with a start and rose from his bed, a cold sweat accumulating on his brow. He hadn't dreamt of that fateful day ten years ago for quite some time, and the memory brought back some cold thoughts. It was nigh morning, so he stood up and stretched, pulling on a casual kimono and pants for the day. After having a short breakfast, he took some time to write in his journal and sharpen his blades that he hadn't tended to. Later in the day, he decided to take a stroll outside and get a late dinner, as night came by quite swiftly.

It felt strange to be in Kyoto again after all these years. It wasn't as hellish as it was that many years ago, but there was still corruption. The Meiji government was nothing but trouble. He grabbed his tanto and placed it in his kimono, hidden from sight. It was illegal to bear swords as of now, and he didn't feel like getting in any trouble today.

He took a stroll outside to go to the restaurant and have some dinner. The night was grand, with a nice breeze rolling through the streets. After a while he noticed many news pamphlets around a news-stand, obviously for a big story. Curious, Ryouichi walked towards it and grabbed the latest news. On the front page, a full story on the death of the Keniichiro Umaeda by the hands of the Shinsengumi was featured. The news was quite shocking. The Shinsengumi have been silent for so many years and they just decided to appear once again? It was strange. Obviously something big was happening in Kyoto. This would require some more investigation. Ryouichi payed for the news and walked away with the paper towards the restaurant. He would think about it during dinner.

Last edited by Chef on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:43 pm
That next day, Souji walked out in a plain kimono and hakama. Even he didn't dare to walk out with the robes of a Shinsengumi. However, he continued to defy authority by wearing both swords, his Kodachi and Katana: Kikuichi-Monji. When the police did bump into him on the street, they would of course give him a look... but one gaze into his eyes and they would steer clear and leave him un-bothered.

That day after his assassination of Keniichiro Umaeda he walked out on the street as always. He headed toward a simple paper booth and gave the owner three yen for a issue. As he flipped it open, a sketch of the dead Senator as well as an entire article flooded the entire first two pages on the incident. Of course, it was surprising as the Shinsengumi had been inactive for ten whole years. As he listened to patrons by the booth chatting of the recent events, he smirked a bit.

"Can you believe it.. the Shinsengumi! Why would they show up now.. and the Senator and his entire family. What does this mean for Japan. Surely the Meiji government can stop this." One patron said.

At that, Souji crumpled the paper and threw it into a trash basket by the booth. He walked down the busy main street, a hand lying carelessly over the hilt of his Katana. Two police officers, who happened to be "sword-bearing police" approached him. Seeing the hilts of his swords, they stopped dead in their tracks. Souji himself stopped as well, giving both officers a innocent smile.

"Good morning officers. Is there anything you need?" Souji asked politely.

"You should know that carrying swords is forbidden! You must relinquish those right now." The police officers said with malevolent grins that suddenly plastered themselves upon their faces.

"And what if I don't give you my swords?" Souji asked.

"Then... we would have to liberate them from you by force." The policemen started laughing with each other, as if by their own inside joke. They slowly reached for their own swords, a western saber type, and halfway drew them out.

At that moment, as their blades became visible, Souji's eyes flashed gold. They were narrowed and menacing with a golden hue. The police stopped drawing their blades, suddenly struck with fear as they looked at Souji's eyes. With a low and cold voice, Souji said:

"Unless you feel that today is the day that both of you go straight to hell... I would sheath those blades."

At that, both officers swallowed nervously and sheathed their blades. Souji walked passed them, his eyes returning to the normal shade of gray. He disappeared through a side street and into an abandoned building, meeting his other comrades who lounged around playing shogi. Back on the street, the two officers stood motionless and visibly shaken. They started walking off again, only after looking over their shoulder.

"I didn't think there was anyone left with those eyes in this Meiji Era..." One of the officers said in a shaking voice.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm
((OOC: Sorry this is going so slow, but I'm actually getting my ideas in order, so hang in there!))

“So, the Shinsengumi have begun to act against the government?” Daisuke pondered. He sat in the heart of his hideout in Kyoto, a spacious, simple place, thinking of how the Miburo could be used to his advantage. I suppose that, sometimes, a direct approach is best. Daisuke snapped his fingers, “Onibasu,” he said as he lit a cigarette.

A faint shadow crept into he corner of the room, barely visible against the wall. “What is it, Katsuo-sama?” a woman's voice quietly droned.

Daisuke sat back and took a drag from his cigarette. “I need you to gather the Kagede Ittai and seek out the Shinsengumi who carried out this assassination, as well as others who may be willing to act against the government. If we wish to do away with this pathetic Meiji government, we will need great chaos here in Kyoto, just like the Bakumatsu. This government will be unable to handle such chaos, and then they will be helpless against us.”

“It shall be so, Katsuo-sama.” The voice said, and the shadow faded off.

“Good,” Daisuke said, mostly to himself.

He doused his cigarette on a small tray in front of him and thought to himself. It's been a long wait, but my plans will soon come to fruition. This weak new government has lost all its pride, throwing away the samurai and bowing to the west. However, when I take this nation, the west will bow to us. I will show them that the samurai are the greatest there ever was, greater than anything they've ever seen. Now they live in shame, but they will know glory once again.

Daisuke stood up, “Kyoto will burn, and the flames will usher in the return of the samurai!”

--------------------------------------------

Hiraku stepped into a restaurant and inn. There's been so much violence as of late, I ought to stay vigilant, he thought to himself. He took a seat and ordered a small meal, then proceeded to observe the others in the restaurant, as he had a habit of doing. Only two tables caught his attention. At one sat a lone man in a kimono sitting at a table. He seemed harmless enough, but Hiraku was certain he sensed a strange killing ki from him. The other table housed several thugs who seemed to be trying to start trouble.

((OOC again: If anybody wants the recruitment attempt from Daisuke, the messages are sent the ninja way; Tied to a kunai and thrown discretely near the addressee. So if you want that, work it into your next post.))
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:06 pm
Souji sat down on a cushion by his comrades who sat in normal everyday kimonos. Their game of shogi ended just then with a groan from Yamanami Keisuke. The other three; Hijikata Toshizo, Nagakura Shinpachi, and Serizawa Kamo started laughing. Souji grinned, and looked to the others.

"Where do you think Hajime Saito is? Does anyone have a clue?" Souji asked.

At that, everyone became quiet. Their laughs ceased and he was left wondering why the halted their joviality.

"Souji... Saito has been spotted working as a police officer in the Meiji government. He is apparently in high standings with Lord Okubo and is respected as the Shinsengumi that he was." Shinpachi replied, taking a light sip from a cup of herbal tea.

"Lord Okubo?! He's working under an Ishin-Shishi?" Souji demanded to know.

"Yes. Toshizo saw Saito himself in the Sakyo-ku district with some sword-bearing police. He is in their uniform." Kamo stated, pointing back to Toshizo who slowly nodded in affirmation.

Souji was taken aback by the news. It only took ten years for Saito to find a cushy job as a lap dog for the government. Through the Bakumatsu, Saito had been the rival to Souji as the greatest swordsmen in the group. He participated in almost every major battle, as as soon as Souji was made 1st Squad commander, Saito was happy to serve under his command. Easy to say, Souji was surprised with his decision.

Before he replied to this new information, a loud knock was heard at the door to their hideout. Souji's hand immediately went for the hilt to his Katana. The others did the same, slowly rising from their cushions and advancing toward the door. Shinpachi slid open the shoji door and found a steel kunai protruding from the wood frame. He grabbed its hilt and retrieved the knife. A small white message was rolled up on the handle. Souji took it and unfurled.

To whom it may concern,

I am a fellow rebel to the government, just as the old Shinsengumi are. If you value the Old Regime, and want to see its reemergence from the dogmatic government we currently have in order, meet me at the Shirobeko restaurant in Greater Kyoto Province.

Obviously, the author of such a note would not sign their name, protecting their identity. However, they would have to be serious, sending such a note would be considered treason. Souji furled the note back up and stuffed it into his kimono. Looking back to the others, who had also read it, he nodded, silently saying that they would go. After this meeting, they would deal with Saito...

~~~~~~~~~~

Around seven o'clock at night, Souji and the others headed off to the Shirobeko. Boldly, they all wore their swords and Shinsengumi uniforms, however to be sure that the police did not catch them before their meeting with this mysterious individual who called them, they wore cloaks over their white and light blue kimonos.

They walked down the dirt road as a unit, not on frightening normal civilians by the looks of their menacing eyes, but giving a sense of militarism... something that hadn't been witness since the Bakumatsu. The police avoided them as well, seeing that all had Katana, made obvious through their hilts sticking out from the cloaks. They rounded a corner, their shadows casting ominous figures onto the nearby buildings. The Shirobeko was in sight. As they entered the restaurant, Souji looked for a certain type of individual and a certain ki. He also gave off his own ki, strong enough to get the attention of any Hitokiri or swordsman in the room.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 pm
Ryouichi sat in the restaurant, eating a bowl of rice. It was a simple meal, but it satisfied his hunger completely, filling him for a late dinner. After giving his bowl to the waitress, he took out the news he received earlier today and surveyed the front page again.

"The Shinsengumi are on the move again," he said to himself. "It's been so many years, I forgot they existed. I dislike the government as well, but I think they are going too far. They gave into the pleasure of killing for their own gain. I must not take that path. I will find my own way to make Japan whole again."

Almost on cue, people with katana by their side walked into the restaurant. They looked fierce and it was quite clear that they had ill intent in their minds. Ryouichi took a close look at their uniforms and gasped slightly. It's definitely Shinsengumi soldiers, he thought to himself. What the hell are they doing here? I must keep my mind set on them. I cannot allow anyone here to be injured if they go that low to put a civilian in danger. People not associated with the troubles of Japan's government do not have to endure the danger that these self-righteous fools cause.

Ryouichi's face became dark and focused as they walked in. His hand was inside his kimono, grasping the hilt of his tanto that was hidden safely inside. He knew that if he got into a sword fight, the chances would be against him, but he didn't really have any choice. Ryouichi stayed seated as they walked in and awaited to see what they would do...

Last edited by Chef on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:45 pm
The group of them stood for a couple of minutes, looking left and right for anyone. Souji felt a dark ki, however it was hostile toward them.. although a bit masked. He decided to ignore this fact and merely smiled. When a young girl came up to them, obviously the hostess, Souji bowed low and thanked her for the restaurants hospitality and asked for a seat somewhere.

The girl, obviously shy around handsome men, kept her eyes away from his and led them into the restaurant toward the back. Souji chuckled a bit and thanked her again as he took a seat with his comrades. He figured that they might as well wait for this man to show up so that the meeting could happen.

Souji's narrow eyes shifted back around the room, he spotted the man he thought held resistance against him. He sat alone with a bowl of rice. Deciding he wasn't too much of a threat, he ignored him. As he sat on the tatami mat, he withdrew his katana from his obi and lay them by his side, as all swordsmen would do. His comrades had done the same, and when the tea came out, all sipped quietly while discussing the normal everyday issues in Kyoto.

Souji himself was the most quiet however. He remembered back many years ago. The Shinsengumi were just starting, and he was one of the trainers as well as the master of the first squad. The people of Kyoto had looked to them, as their special police force, to protect them from the Ishin-Shishi...how the tables had turned. His goals were quite simple, to bring back the Tokugawa Shogunate.. through all out force if need be. He would soon allow all to see the uniform of the Shinsengumi again, however it wouldn't be as fear, but rather respect or admiration. The people had been brainwashed into liking the Meiji Government, but what they didn't see just passed the surface, was the overwhelming corruption.

Soon, that government would fall to the enemies they feared the most during the Bakumatsu.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:30 am
Daisuke threw open the door of the Shirobeko. Despite the secrecy his position currently required, he had a way of making himself noticed anyway, partly due to his carrying his swords in plain sight, and he made no effort to hide them. He looked about and saw the men he was looking for; the proud remnants of the Shinsengumi. Like him, their swordsman spirit was strong, evident to all in the room. He walked over to them and sat down at their table, setting his sword down at his side.

"How are you, gentlemen?" he said, "I'm sorry I couldn't give such proud warriors as you the accommodations you truly deserve, but I'm sure you understand why we must remain in the shadows for now?"

--------

Hiraku watched a group of swordsmen walk in, followed by one more later. The first group was in Shinsengumi uniforms. They have too strong of spirits to be frauds, he thought, these men are truly of the Shinsengumi. The other swordsman holds a very foreboding presence as well. I fear this won't be good. Hiraku pulled his katana closer to him and observed the swordsmen, though he couldn't hear them.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am
Ryouichi was starting to get worried about the situation. All he had was his tanto at the moment, so if they got into trouble, he would not be in good hands. He was wondering who this other swordsman was that came in after the Shinsengumi group. What are men like them gathering here for at this time? he thought to himself. They must be plotting something; probably something against the Meiji government.

Ryouichi noticed another man in the restaurant who seemed to be keeping an eye on them as well. He had a katana sheathed by his side, which was surprising to see considering the era they were in. I'll have to start carrying my sword around as well if things get as dangerous as this, Ryouichi thought quickly to himself. Perspiration dripped off of his brow as he watched these men. They made he nervous, causing him to worry a bit, but he tried his best to conceal his feelings. Ryouichi watched the scene out of the corner of his eye, his hand still on the hilt of his tanto.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 am
Souji bowed to their contact who had finally shown up at the restaurant and sat down with them. Beneath their cloaks, they did show him their uniforms a bit, just to affirm his meeting. He couldn't help but notice what a strong ki that the man had, he was surprised. The rest of the Shinsengumi bowed as well, and thus the conversation started. Souji also sensed another hostile ki in the room, it was aimed to the entire table. His eyes narrowed as he glanced around. With a sound smirk, he too decided to ignore whoever it was.

"Yes, I understand that we must meet this way, there are... many eyes looking for people like us. They however, do not understand our reasoning. The Meiji is corrupt, and shall fall like all other corrupt governments before. And, the Shinsengumi will be sure to do so with the katana."

Souji took a casual sip of his tea and looked to the newcomer.

"I am Okita Souji, captain of the old first squad of the Shinsengumi. What is your name?" Souji asked.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:13 pm
"I am Daisuke Katsuo," he said proudly, "leader of the Tenken Clan and the one who will resurrect the true Japan."

On the other side of the restaurant, a couple of thugs were becoming even more unruly.

"What do you mean you 'won't be paying?'" the hostess stammered.

"I mean, we don't have the money on us," one of the thugs growled, "so we won't be paying tonight!"

"But you can't just-" the hostess was cut off when one of the thugs smacked her to the ground.

"We can and will! We're part of the Watanabe gang, so if you have a problem, you can just take it up with our boss! If you want to die, that is!"

Daisuke stood up. "Excuse me, but I wouldn't be able to call myself a samurai if I sat idly by." he said, then rose his voice so thugs could hear him. "No, my pride demands that I take action against cowards who abuse a woman because of their own weakness!"

"How dare you!" one of the thugs yelled.

Daisuke helped the hostess to her feet, "Let's take this outside," he said to the thugs, then turned to the Shinsengumi. "If you were thinking of following me, there's no need, this will be over in mere moments."

They walked in front of the Shirobeko and Daisuke drew his swords, "Alright, I'd challenge you to a duel, but I know thugs like you would just try something dirty anyway, so why don't you just come at me all at once."

The three men were quick to oblige, each drawing knives and charging at Daisuke. He held his swords in an X shape and charged through them, leaving a cut on the arms of two of them. Daisuke quickly turned and slashed deep into the thug's chest with his katana, and when another tried to strike him, Daisuke ran him through with his wakizashi. The last thug dropped to his knees, a quivering mess.

"P-p-please don't kill me! You'll never see me again!"

The sight disgusted Daisuke, but he wanted to get his name into the underground. "Go tell your boss what happens when you anger Daisuke Katsuo and the Tenken Clan!" The thug quickly ran off, and as he did so, Daisuke realized there was a police whistle going off. Damn, someone alerted the police?

Daisuke walked back in to and addressed the Shinsengumi. "The police are coming. Shall we leave, or do we show the Meiji Government the face of their doom here?"
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:30 pm
During the entire fiasco with the Watanabe Gang members, the Shinsengumi had their hands to their hilts. Souji himself had his blade halfway out of its sheath just as the thug hit the women. He hated scum like that, and was quite glad when Daisuke ran him through. Souji rose from the table after hearing the police whistles along with the rest of his comrades. Shinpachi nodded as he saw Souji's expression of excitement.

Souji suddenly cast his cloak and hood away, revealing his entire Shinsengumi uniform, much to the horror of the patrons of the restaurant. However, he put a hand up, stopping the screams and babble of panic.

"Listen, good citizens of Kyoto... we are the Shinsengumi. During the Bakumatsu, what group was created under the grand Tokugawa Shogunate in order to protect the people of this land? It was us, and that job has not changed. All innocents are safe from my wrath. You all must realize the corruption in this new government, yes!?" Souji stated bluntly. "I will bring back the Old Regime, and this time of inequality will all be over!"

Souji shoved his katana into his obi and looked to Daisuke finally. Giving a bow, he praised his swordsmanship and style of combat. Looking to the wounded gang members on the street, he walked over and kicked his sandal'd foot into the ones face who smacked the young girl.

"Soon, these gangs will also be eradicated under the old regime. Daisuke-san... the Shinsengumi have revealed themselves and their intentions to these good citizens.. they will tell others. We shall stay and show this Meiji Government what fear actually is." Souji said, stamping the ground with a foot proudly. "Shinsengumi, prepare yourselves!"
Chef
Chef
Admin

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:56 pm
Trouble was brewing at the Shirobeko. The police were called to action immediately after hearing sounds of fighting. Apparently some old samurai picked a fight with a few thugs. A few casualties, maybe, but it could get much worse than that if they didn't put a stop to it.

An American ran with a police squad down the streets of Kyoto, handling a lever action rifle and sporting a rapier by his side. He was wearing a wide brimmed fedora and had regular pants, a rolled up shirt, and a vest like many young Americans would wear. His name was William Darnel, a new resident in this area after hearing calls from Japan to help with the westernization of the country. It didn't help that many people wanted the old government back, so they would put up lots of resistance. Those people had to be stopped.

William huffed as they ran, catching his breath in quick bursts. He was surprised he was about to witness action already. He had only been here for a couple weeks and this was his fourth day on duty. It's time to show this country what a rifle can do, he thought to himself a little too happily. Those swords are no match for the new weapons of the west. A gun can defeat a sword any day, and I will prove that tonight by taking care of these samurai.

After few minutes they made it to their destination, seeing a bunch of katana-wielding renegades outside the Shirobeko. A few thugs were on the ground, a couple possibly dead, and a number of people were peeking outside their homes to view what was happening. As they approached William noticed that the samurai did not flee from their presence. They wanted a fight. William pointed his gun at them and ordered the other officers to aim their guns likewise.

"You are all under arrest for wielding katana, fighting in the streets, and disrupting the peace," William said in a dull tone. "Of course, if you wish to resist, we won't hold back from pulling the triggers on our guns and destroying all of you pathetic rebels. It's your choice."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:47 pm
Souji stood outside the Shirobeko and defiantly faced the sword-bearing police who started to run down the street toward them. Many bore muskets in the western fashion. Souji sneered and faced two of his comrades, Toshizo and Shimpachi who had gone with him to the restaurant. Putting two fingers to his mouth, Souji blew a shrill whistle. Only moments later, from the various darkened side-streets four more Shinsengumi walked out. They were the last of his group; Kondo Isami, Serizawa Kamo, Inoue Genzaburo, and Todo Heisuke. All held the hilts or hafts of their weapons.

Souji nodded to them, as he slowly unsheathed Kakuichi-Monji. The people of the restaurant had slowly begun to cautiously leave, however their original fear of the Shinsengumi seemed to have dissipated. As the police finally approached, yells of surrendering were already flowing to their ears. Souji grinned as he faced them. His eyes were narrowed and menacing. Suddenly, a couple of the officers running slowly down and fell to the ground face first, knocked out from Souji's ki. The rest who encountered the feeling seemed to slow down quite a bit, a dazed look came over their faces.

A yell from a westerner who ran at the forefront was heard:

"You are all under arrest for wielding katana, fighting in the streets, and disrupting the peace," William said in a dull tone. "Of course, if you wish to resist, we won't hold back from pulling the triggers on our guns and destroying all of you pathetic rebels. It's your choice."

Souji took the point of his katana and stabbed it into the earth next to him, defying the order. And then... the face off. The police dropped to their knee or stood in a line, leveling muskets on the Shinsengumi and Daisuke in the western tactic. Souji pointed with his blade to the five fallen police behind them.

"Do you expect to win with a will as weak as them? Your western weapons are not enough to beat the Shinsengumi and our divine ambitions!" Souji yelled to them.

The Shinsengumi stood behing him, all drew their blades or various other weapons. The stage was set, and the enemy lay before them. Nagakura Shinpachi twirled his Tachi in one hand, the blade carved a fine line in the dirt below.

"Westerners such as yourself don't have the authority nor the right to take control in this country. It will be my pleasure to cut off your head!" Shimpachi exclaimed.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 am
William frowned when he heard the man yell at him. No one had respect for police these days. He would have to put them in their place and show them the true power of authority and the weapons of the west. William cocked his rifle and pointed at the swordsmen congregated before him.

"Who the hell do you think you're talking to?" he replied to the man angrily. "You are defying the law of Japan and I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to put you dogs down if you won't back off."

He looked at his police officers around him. Several were down on one knee because of fear, supposedly.

"All members of the police force, rise before I kill you all myself," he yelled to them. "We have nothing to fear. As long as we have these guns, they cannot harm us."

William grinned and pointed his gun at one of the leaders.

"Ready weapons!" William yelled at his men. "Take aim...FIRE!"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum