Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chef
Chef
Admin

Chapter I: The End of Normality - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter I: The End of Normality

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:30 pm
Harvey walked the rest of the trip to John's house with a smile on his face. It was beautiful how much conversation one could start up with just a few harsh words. The kid had daddy issues. That seemed to be a common theme today. Harvey backed off for the rest of the way as Dante and John argued about death, daddy, and probably something else he didn't pay much attention to. It wasn't quite worth intervening. All Harvey knew was that he at least got them moving.

Harvey wasn't too keen on John's plans. They were rather military and unappealing to him. He didn't want to stick around with someone's dad, even if it meant to survive. He'd have to move on eventually to see his own parents, anyways. Right now, a leader was not determined. Perhaps that was a bad idea, because everyone right now seemed to want to take charge with their own ideals. Harvey didn't want to lead a band of morons, and he sure as hell didn't want Dante or John leading everyone, so he felt Hayley was the best candidate. She was cool-headed and a lot smarter than the lot of them. There was no argument about it.

The home they came to was quite normal, but cozy. Of course, there was a bit of blood and a corpse on the porch, but that was to be expected. "Nice house," Harvey said out of the blue when they were walking in. He went through the doors, Ava following close behind. She had been silent for a time. Harvey was guessing she was mad at him for starting a conflict back there. She'd just have to get over it.

Harvey opened a closet, hoping that John didn't mind him rooting around. It was the end of the world, after all, so it would be unreasonable for him to deny them possible survival equipment. It seemed to be something of a sports closet, and Harvey noticed a nice steel bat in there, fairly light-weight and perfect for slamming into the heads of zombies. Might've belonged to John's father or something, as Harvey could never remember seeing the kid in a sport. They probably tried it out on him, but it didn't work.

"You aren't going to steal that, are you?" Ava asked, standing behind Harvey.
"It's not stealing," Harvey insisted. "I need something to defend myself with. This is basic survival tactics. Believe me, military boy over there will understand."
"I guess so."
"I know so."

Harvey took his new weapon and closed the closet door. He walked into the room where John was, seeing him standing there over an answering machine. Harvey wasn't quite sure if he was stunned at something or what. It seemed like his parents weren't there after all, so maybe he was having trouble contacting them. This would likely be a common occurrence at all their households.

"They not here?" Harvey asked. "Then we should probably get moving, maybe take some food with us. Other people want to know if their parents are alive too, so we can't stay here forever."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin
https://legacysociety.darkbb.com

Chapter I: The End of Normality - Page 3 Empty Re: Chapter I: The End of Normality

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:31 pm
As they started walking, Hayley slowed down a bit and walked next to John. She had been thinking the entire time as to the best route and what they would likely expect. The truth was, they couldn't expect anything. They couldn't expect there to be them at every corner, they couldn't expect them to not be on all the side roads. Everything was unknown, and they were walking right into it - the only clear thing that could even be done.

"I don't think that all of this started here at the school... it wouldn't make sense. Sure, it started for us, but how would a student just suddenly die and reanimate. This is like... some kind of virus - it had to have started from somewhere else in the city. Of course, none of that matters now, the virus is spreading by now through this city and likely others." Hayley looked to the others.

Even with their horrified expressions, she knew that the truth had to be told. The overwhelming truth had dawned unto all of their minds - they didn't know a thing. They, the living, would soon become a large minority in that city, that country, and the world as they knew it.

Hayley moved back toward the forefront, her spear always at the ready. It truly hadn't taken her long to become a bit paranoid - but then the same could be said of the others. The end of the side street loomed just ahead of them as the main road was clear. Poking her head between the buildings at either of her side, she looked to both and checked for signs of the Infected.

Seeing nothing, she allowed John to push on ahead and lead them toward his home. By the obviously egging on of Harvey, the nagging argument between Dante and John started. The girls of the group - herself, Jaimie, Ava, and Amber - were all quiet. They were all getting annoyed with the constant argument. Hayley gave Harvey an angered look then walked to Dante and John, pushing them away from each other. Stopping the group and looking to the two of them, she had a look of disgust on her face.

"Listen, you two - shut the hell up! No one needs to know about family issues, or what death means, or what it feels like to kill. Do you people not realize that none of that matters now?! If we don't get together as a group and actually work well with each other - we are all going to die. I don't give a shit how many people you apparently killed back in the Mafia, Dante. I don't care about how bad of a dad you have or whatever, John. What I care about is getting out of this alive, and keeping you all alive as well. But maybe you both are too concerned about yourself, or how you might be able to lead the group to see beyond all of this nonsense!" Hayley exploded with anger and frustration.

No one had ever seen Hayley Shimura get mad in such a way. She was known simply back at school as that one laid-back, happy-go-lucky, cute girl. Even she couldn't remember a time where she was more enraged over other people. It quieted everyone quite quickly, and the argument ended there.

It didn't take long for them to get to John's home. The street there were on was upon a hill moving down, houses lined both sides of the road. Corpses lay in the road, not many of course, but here and there they were. This disturbed Hayley, as she knew that upon dying, reanimation occurs. Humans that die do not stay "dead" on the ground for long. Perhaps someone out there was fighting the Infected just as they were.

John's father had obviously left the home. His car was gone, tread marks resided fresh upon the tar driveway. The door was unlocked - allowing the others to enter. Upon doing so, everyone spread out. The sound of the message on the answering machine was no doubt John's mother's voice. There at the house temporary shelter, food, drink, and materials for new weapons were readily available. Hayley walked around the house and looked around. She found a long walking-stick. It was thick enough to not break upon multiple impacts. Taking the stick, she walked around again and found a military grade trench knife - likely John's father's. Taking that, she left for the kitchen and grabbed the strongest tape she could find. Flipping the long blade up until it locked into position, she taped the knife onto the stick until she couldn't move it at all. Throwing her old spear away, she looked upon the new one.

It was quiet, obviously deadly with that seven inch blade, more durable, and a bit longer than the old broom-stick spear. Looking to the others she smiled, clacking her new spear's haft onto the tile floor. Who would have thought she'd be so happy to have made a weapon of all things.

"Well, what'dya think guys? I think this should get the job done nicely for a while." Hayley said cheerfully. "Anyway - we are staying here for a little while. Get anything you might need, then we're heading to my house. Plan on staying there for the night."
Desertback
Desertback

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 pm
Once he reached the house everyone walked through the main door. The garage door was still open where it had a working bench and some stacked up boxes. He walks in in and starts looking around. The car was gone so Dante guessed anything that can fire a bullet is more likely no longer inside. He was interested in the stacked up boxes because it seemed that none of them are marked. He opens every box and only to find nothing until he got his hand on the last box. Inside it looked like some equipment that looked military.

But as soon Dante ruffled around the box it was nothing but useless documentation. He kicks the box in anger cursing to himself. He spent the following ten minutes gathering nothing but family garbage. He sits down on the floor looking at the open neighborhood. It was empty with some bodies laying on the ground. He stands up in disappointment and goes around back and enter the backyard. He notice a work shed that had a padlock. With Dante's luck it will be something that wont help him.

He pulls out his homemade scythe and starts breaking the lock at a cost. As soon the padlock was off the crude blade of his scythe was officially broken. He opens the shed and sees really nothing interesting. It had some good stuff like shovels and bush clippers but nothing that was exciting. He starts moving stuff since the shed was cluttered with junk. He pulls out a large weeder that was hiding in the back. It looked very new as if it was not even used but he was happy that this is a light weight weapon. But as he keeping moving items away he keeps finding some good stuff inside. The second item he found was a propane torch and finally the last item a hatchet that was rusting a little bit.

Either way Dante had items that he would be able to use. He heads up to the house backyard door and enters. Everyone one was gathering what they want. Dante looks around the kitchen and starts looking for something he can eat. He opens the fridge to see what could be left. The fridge was still little bit cold and there was some yogurt cups. He pulls out two out and sits down at their table. He was hungry since he didn't eat for a while. He picks up a spoon and starts eating while everyone carries on their business.

Last edited by Desertback on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:35 pm
"Looks like we'll be here for a little while," Harvey said to Ava, both of them taking a seat on a couch in the living room. "I disagree with the decision, but fine. Waiting around is the last thing we should be doing."
"We have to rest every so often, you know," Ava said, shrugging. "You're just going to have to deal with it, Harvey."
"Yeah, I kind of figured that, thanks," Harvey replied sharply. "Doesn't mean I have to like it."

Ava could understand Harvey's impatience, but it could get annoying sometimes. It was selfish and it didn't help anyone's opinion of him. Ava wished that her brother would listen to her more often. Maybe it would help get him in less trouble. Harvey is always trying to prove something and make himself look cool, but Ava knows deep down that he's just like the rest of them.

Harvey had ignored his sister ever since she was born. Whenever she wanted to play, he'd go off somewhere else. He was surprised that she didn't hate his guts yet. Truthfully, he didn't deserve how nice Ava was to him. That's why he felt it was his responsibility to protect her during this time. It was the least he could do to make up for how much of an asshole he'd been in the past.

"When do you think this is all going to be over?" Ava asked out of the blue.
"I don't know," Harvey replied shrugging. "Probably not for a long time. I don't see any signs of control yet, do you? Unless everyone gets their asses in gear before it's too late, we're never going to get out of this."
"I don't like thinking about it that way," Ava said, sighing.
"I don't either," Harvey shot back, "but it doesn't mean we should just lie to ourselves. We've got to face the truth, or we won't be prepared for anything."
jbrians64
jbrians64

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:33 am
John looked up as Harvey asked him if his parents were there.

"They not here?" he asked. John pondered the answer.

"My mother is in a different state, with her relatives. Now my father, two possible conclusions. He either joined up with the resistance to this infection, or he might have joined back with his old friends. He took some stuff with him, his car isn't here, he's pretty much gone. I'm not going over to my mother, there's no point, it would give me false hope. Right now, I'm attempting to prepare to resist this infection, or whatever it is. I'm not answering the machine, I'm simply not alive." John walked over to his room, and emptied his book bag on the bed. Taking a few ham and bacon sandwiches, he also took two water bottles. He walked down to the basement to get a shovel, to use against the beings.
Desertback
Desertback

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm
Dante stands by the door and sees all of the homes lined up next to each other. He was thinking that he should go and investigate each one just to loot them of anything that can be useful. Dante's apartment was only a few blocks away but he didn't think it would be useful any how.

Dante was not happy with the groups decision to search each others home just to see if they had family living and breathing. In his mind he thought this was just a suicide mission.

Two houses away he can see a parked car on the driveway. It looked like a Cadillac STS-V or even maybe a Ford Malibu. It kinda was tempting for Dante not to go up to that car and hot wire it. There are no police and that car would be fun to use. "God damn it I want to steal that ride so badly" he said to himself. But he fought against the urge and just waits for everyone to be ready to move.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:55 pm
Harvey mused over John's words as the kid headed downstairs for whatever reason. It seemed that he had given up on everything but himself. Harvey was beginning to think the same way himself, but he wouldn't admit it. If his mother was dead, he didn't know what he'd do. He'd probably go crazy. No, he couldn't afford that. Amy was still alive after all. No matter what he had to protect her.

"Should we say something to him?" Ava said to Harvey about John. "I think he could really use some kind words right now."
"He'll get over it," Harvey said, shaking his head. "Sometimes you've got to think about it yourself for a while."
"True..." Ava admitted. "Maybe it'd just make him more upset."
"Probably."

Harvey sat there with Ava in silence, bored out of his mind. It couldn't take that long to grab a few things and go, right? He had all he needed and Ava certainly didn't have much she needed to carry other than the backpack on her back.

"What's in there, anyways?" Harvey asked her, pointing to the pack.
"Oh, this?" Ava asked, putting it on her lap and unzipping it. "It's got stuff that I bring to the clinic everyday. It's got first aid and everything. I didn't leave it behind because I felt it could be useful..."
"That's actually pretty smart," Harvey admitted.
"Thanks."
"Don't feel too good about it. I'm not about to hand out free prizes or anything."

Ava giggled a bit and Harvey smiled. He never really had that sort of friendly conversation with his sister before. Maybe this whole apocalypse deal was better than he thought. Sure, the world was ending, but in the meantime he was no longer restrained by any sort of government, you can take just about anything you want on the street, and he was getting along better with his sister. Gotta think positive, after all. But still, Harvey was reminded about how they were still in this same boring house and not out there running for their lives.

"We'd better get moving soon or I'll lose my mind," Harvey said to himself.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 pm
Hayley looked over to her group and knew at once that some people were rather discontent with what had been happening up until then. Being honest with herself, she understood why. After all, staying in one place did have it's own dangers. She could tell Dante was looking out more for himself - she wondered why he hadn't just left already. Knowing Harvey, he was nothing more than bored, however she could see that he did not agree with this current course of action as much as the others.

Of the others, Jaimie and Amber both resolved to following her, at least until they got to their own homes. Hayley sighed but knew that what she was doing was only safe. Though they didn't know it now, she hoped that she was doing them all a favor. If they all stepped right, they might get out of this alive. Looking to her clothes, she had just then realized that they were covered in blood. Her expression turned to disgust for a short period as she contemplated throwing them in the washer and putting on a robe if she found one. In the end, she knew that that kind of move might only antagonize her comrades moods.

Going over to everyone, Hayley walked to the door and opened it peering outside. It was likely around 1:00 pm in the afternoon.

"Well guys, we've only been here for around a half hour, but I think it's best that we move on. My house is the next closest I think, it's maybe a quarter mile from where we are now." Hayley paused as some of them started to get their things ready. "With all of them out in the streets it'll likely feel a lot farther. So, any last things you want to grab before leaving, I'd do it now. I don't think we'll be returning again."

Walking out to the front of the house, Hayley kept watch on the road as she waited for the others to come out to her. It was so odd not hearing that familiar hum of a vehicle. Even the animals, such as birds and squirrels seemed to be absent from this new world. It was just quiet... never ending quietness... at least until they showed up.

Chef
Chef
Admin

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 pm
The second Hayley mentioned them moving on, Harvey got up from his seat, Ava following close behind. He wanted to get out of here as quickly as possible. He'd rather face zombies than boredom itself. Harvey stepped out with Ava onto the road, Hayley waiting for them.

"Let's get the Hell outta here," Harvey said to her, hefting the baseball bat over his shoulder.
"Will we encounter any of... them?" Ava asked Harvey, a worried look on her face.
"You bet," Harvey answered with a grin. "Tons of them, I'm sure."

Ava glared at him and Harvey chuckled. After a few minutes everyone else was out of the house and ready to go, some scared, some confident. It was really a mixed bag, and Harvey could tell that some of them were destined to be food for them. If you were too scared to wield a weapon you'd be screwed in this new world. Ava was the exception. She had his protection, after all.

"Let's go, Hayley," Harvey said, taking point with her. The group followed closely behind as they navigated the various streets of Bakersfield. There was little to see other than a few zombies here and there, but they were easily avoided. Within half an hour, they were nearing the street that led up to Hayley's house. What they saw around there, however, was a big surprise.

What seemed to be almost a hundred zombies were all around the street, spread apart in some areas, clustered in others. They wandered around aimlessly, moaning and falling over each other. Harvey was judging that there were so many here because of the crashed cars and buses on the same road.

"Shit!" Harvey hissed to himself. "There's too many here. We can't just chop through them."

They all stood there for a moment, looking in horror at these beings. Hayley's house was at the end of the streets, zombies everywhere in between them and their goal. It seemed almost impossible to even navigate around, as the streets going around the block were just as packed with zombies. This was the only safe bet, and they'd just waste more precious time taking detours. Suddenly Harvey had an idea.

"I heard a few of you talking about how these things only react to sound..." he said, scratching his chin. "Well, if that's the case, we should be able to walk right through them! There aren't too packed, and if we walk in a line we'll be able to make it. Sure, we'll have to bob and weave a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard. As long as no one makes a noise, we'll be safe. I'm sure of it. If we do make a single noise, however, we're fucked. How do you like those odds?"

Harvey looked over to Hayley.

"Lead the way, missus," Harvey said with a grin.
Desertback
Desertback

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:59 pm
Once the group started to walk he followed behind of the group. It was a boring walk to the next house. On the way there was several zombies nearby but luckily everyone was able to be quiet enough that none of the zombies got suspicious.

But once everyone saw the mob of undead it was clear that we will have to turn around. He was glad because of it since he was hoping everyone would turn back. But Dante's wish was not going to happen. He heard what the two siblings plan was and it was far beyond of reason.

He says quietly "This better be a damn joke because I am not laughing". It was clear it was no joke. "No if we do that its suicide. We need to make a diversion in order to pass them" he said softly. He shuffles his pocket and pulls out his cellphone but it was dead. "Who has a cellphone that still works? If we can set a alarm on at a certain time the zombies will run towards it and we can just slip by them".
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:40 am
Hayley stood and watched the massive horde of them that seemed to have conveniently gathered just before her home. It was the last house on the street, a normal, New England style colonial bordered all the way around by a rather tall stone wall and a gate leading in by the driveway. She could tell just be peering over them that the gate was closed, however unlocked.

As they came up with the plan to merely walk past them, everything seemed to go well enough until they were too tightly packed in to possibly hope in getting away without a scratch... let alone a bite. It would mean the death of them all, and cutting one's way through seemed implausible, not to mention impossible at the moment. Though everyone now had some form of weapon, they weren't armored.

Dante however, saved them from distress at the optimal moment. His suggestion flowed to each ear - what an obvious yet ingenuitive idea - a diversion. Hayley checked her phone and saw that it was dead. Jaimie's was likewise, but when it came to Amber, she almost shrieked when she saw that her phone still carried the basic functions (albeit without the access toward calling another). Going through her phone, she selected the timed alarm and set it for a few minutes from then.

They all waited for those two stress-inducing minutes before she turned her volume up and the alarm sounded off like a trumpet playing taps to sleeping soldiers. It was indeed as if every one of them had just woken up. Moans and groans could be heard as they made their way, sauntering and dragging their decrepit bodies toward the sound of her phone which she had thrown a ways away.

Slowly, the crowd of them started to loosen and the group of them sighed silently in relief at the diversion's working. As they started to silently tip-toe their way on the new path to freedom as it was, their nervousness only increased as the walking dead passed them by - smelly, disgusting meat sacks only fit for the most primal of instincts it seemed. Upon reaching the gate, Hayley thought she might burst into tears of joy - she only hoped that her family was there, or at least alive. Slowly opening the gate so it didn't make a creak, they moved into her front yard and shut the gate behind - latching it for good measure.

They had made it - perhaps what would be called the first leg of their long journey together. Hayley took a deep breath, and turned the nob to her front door upon unlocking it.

OOC: Well guys, it's hard to believe - this is the end to Chapter 1! Last posts on that piece before getting to the house and I will lock the thread and start Chapter 2 tomorrow. =D
Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 am
Dante's plan, unexpectedly, was genius. Harvey would've never thought of it. He was rather impressed with the guy, but now was not the time for compliments. They had to make sure that the thought wasn't in vain.

Harvey grabbed Ava's hand as soon as the alarm went off and led her along with the others, going as quietly as possible. Most of the zombies were gone, making this a very easy task. If they had gone with Harvey's original plan, it would've been far easier for them to make a fatal mistake.

"That was a little too easy," Harvey said to Ava as they arrived at Hayley's front gate.
"No thanks to you," Ava said, giggling.
"Hey, at least I tried," Harvey said, shrugging.

They were safe for now. After going through so many trials in one day, it was surprising that no one had fallen from the pressure. There was, however, a lot more to come in their journey. The decisions would be much harder from this point as things got worse. Harvey himself was betting at least one person would end up dying tomorrow.

The thought was a negative one, but it was quite realistic. Realistically, they all should've been dead by now, however. They were beating incredible odds at the moment through wits and basic survival tactics, all thanks to a calm and confident leader. Ava hoped that Hayley's parents were at their home or alive. She didn't want to see her friend get disappointed, but she had an incredibly bad feeling about this. Nonetheless, Harvey and Ava both followed Hayley as they entered the house.
jbrians64
jbrians64

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 am
John was with the others when the beings were stacked up all across the streets. He first heard Harvey's idea, didn't like it much, and then heard Dante's idea, involving an alarm clock to distract the beings.

"Sounds a lot like something a cartoon character would do, but it's our only hope, so full steam ahead." John said quietly. He didn't like either plan, but he knew they couldn't fight the things, so they had to go through quickly and quietly. This whole thing seemed like a cartoon, or more of a zombie apocalypse film, but John never liked that genre of film.

The plan actually worked, much to the amusement of John Brians. They managed to get to Hayley's gate, though John had a bad feeling about this. They'd have to be very careful around the house, they could be among the strange beings. However, John hid his criticism, knowing that he'd be a hypocrite, as he actually wished for the others to come to his house. They slowly entered the home of Hayley Shimura.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum