Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Maikuolan
Maikuolan
Admin
https://github.com/Maikuolan

Emissarial Matters Empty Emissarial Matters

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:50 pm
(( OOC - This thread chronically begins immediately after the conclusion of my thread, "coup ďétat". That thread begins as per chronically inherited by when it was posted, and concludes within the same night. ))

In the fading hours of the night, just before morning, when the sun had yet to arise, the moon remained bright, the birds were yet to awaken and most were asleep, an ageing male Toškhát ran on all fours, at his fasted pace, directly from the palace towards the Capuan embassy - Capua thus far had been the only country courageous enough to dare build an embassy in the Holy Empire since the Great War some centuries earlier, and despite the Holy Empire's own vast resources, to-date proved to be the quickest and most efficient method in which both to receive news of the world around them and to send news out.

After some time, when he eventually reached the embassy, he barged through the door and called out, hoping that, in this darkest hour of the night when most would undoubtedly be fast asleep, that someone may hear his words, the alarm in his tone clear enough. "Capua..!! I bring news from the Palace of the Dominante! We must speak, immediately!"
Redcoat
Redcoat

Emissarial Matters Empty Re: Emissarial Matters

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:13 am
The Capuan Embassy in the Holy Empire was not your typical diplomatic institution. It was a fortress. There were battlements; small windows; tough oaken doors. Overall, it looked as though it were some sort of pocket castle. Shortly after a guard on the battlements above checked to ensure the traveller was alone, a different guard opened the door below.

"What brings you here?" he asked. "This is outside of our normal hours of operation. But your tone is desperate. What is going on?"
Maikuolan
Maikuolan
Admin

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:21 am
Stopping momentarily to catch his breath, the ageing male Toškhát nodded - A sort of half-acknowledgment to the guard's rank and agreement that he was, indeed, desperate. "I am Scribe Hravídó, of the Palace of the Dominante. Both Dominante Dâutên and Khrál, his first son, the next in line, are dead! They were killed by Trévutó, the second son! This happened a mere few hours ago. Trévutó has acquired the submission of the palace and claimed rite - He is the new Dominante!"
Redcoat
Redcoat

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:11 pm
The guard's face became far more grim than it usually was, which was quite an achievement considering his assignment. He stepped out of the way of the door, allowing the Toškhát entrance to the Embassy. He then turned up the stairs, and shouted to another of the guards.

"Awake the Ambassador! There is a situation requiring his attention."

A few minutes later, a higher-ranking Dwarf, clearly the Ambassador, marched out of an upstairs room, hastily dressed and not at all looking ready for a summit. He supposed, and hoped, that what was about to happen was more the delivery of news than anything, but in his bones he knew that his workload was about to increase. He sighed a bit before descending the stairs, knowing the most basic details of the situation.

"I greet you," he began, customarily. He dropped most of the ceremony that was associated with this kind of thing, reasoning that it was midnight and they probably both needed their sleep. "What has happened?"
Maikuolan
Maikuolan
Admin

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:10 pm
Slightly more calm and collected that before, but the urgency still evident in his voice, the ageing male Toškhát scribe repeated to the Ambassador what he'd told the guard. "This happened in the dead of the night, during a lowered security period - It happened fast, and he acted alone. I think, had been planned out for some time. I came here as quickly as I could."
Redcoat
Redcoat

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 pm
Ordinarily, upon the death of a leader, or anyone with any semblance of decency for that matter, it would be customary, in Capuan society and others, to offer condolences and perhaps a positive memory or account of the deceased. Such was not the case in Toškhát politics, and it was something he had drilled into his head several times before obtaining his position. Indeed, Pierre's response, he reasoned, would have to involve praising Trévutó for his victory. After all, in this group's culture, he was to be praised--he'd won a fair fight with a Head of State. Privately, Pierre was glad he was not a citizen of the Holy Empire.

"Then I must congratulate him on his victory and deliver this news to Capua posthaste. Do you bear any other news, or messages from the Empire's new Dominante?"
Maikuolan
Maikuolan
Admin

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 pm
Hravídó nodded in solemn agreement. "Indeed. His victory has certainly surprised many of us."

Hravídó, in truth, had mixed feelings - The teachings of the Trialith, drilled into his mind since early childhood had long taught him that such a victory, earned through one-on-one combat, should be well received and congratulated, for such a victory was fair and honourable - Regardless of the nature of that victory, it's purpose or who suffers as a result.

He also generally quite liked Trévutó as a leader and could understand his reasoning - Dâutên was a strong, well-respected and powerful leader, but had long since grown old, with his years, though having no ill-effect on his physical strength, resulting in questionable leadership decisions and an ever more fragile mind, all the while refusing to step down from power as should have customarily been the case once a leader was no longer fit for rule; On the other hand, Khrál, the next in line, would never be accepted by the military generals of the Holy Empire, for he lacked the deeply enrooted discipline expected of a leader by the generals of the time.

However, Trévutó's victory did concern the old scribe - However well executed and however well he'd planned his coup ďétat, he'd proceeded without prior support or backing, seeking his support and seeking the submission of the generals only after his victory - Killing the former leader, his father, without the prior support of the generals, from the scribe's experiences, left open the potential for others to question his claim to rite which could potentially lead to civil war. Indeed, for his goals to be met, the battle was not yet over. However, these were concerns that he did not mention to others.

To Pierre's question, Hravídó continued. "This is all very recent, so no other news as of yet, but I suspect there will be more news to come very soon. Though if I may suggest... And I am only scribe, so this may be far beyond my rank and place to say... But the former Dominante was bitter and paranoid towards foreigners, and held isolationist views, whereas the new Dominante appears to be... Different. This may present opportunities. If there is anything I can do to help reap these opportunities, I am willing. But otherwise, for now... No other messages."
Redcoat
Redcoat

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm
The palace scribe's political wisdom was hardly surprising. Indeed, political intrigue was one way to build a more intelligent and cunning society, if not a more utilitarian one. Most important to Pierre, however, was that the old man was right. Indeed, it would be most interesting to the Capuans if the Toškháts were to open up their borders. Not only did it present an opportunity to influence their society via trade, but it also presented them as a potential ally--however shaky such an alliance would be--or enemy. Of particular interest to the sharp-minded bureaucrat was the possibility of a team-up against the Solarians, if war came to pass. But these were choices for Antony to make, not himself.

"I shall keep your wisdom in mind. Inform the Dominante that the Republic congratulates him for his victory and that we are open to negotiations and agreements should he have any proposals for us."
Maikuolan
Maikuolan
Admin

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 am
With the traditional Toškhát salute generally offered towards favourable diplomats or between closely ranked Toškhát as a sign of respect - A slight bowing of the head particular associated hand gesture - the scribe spoke one last time before preparing to leave. "I shall do so. Equally, if the Republic has any proposals to make to the Dominante and Empire, I am at service to those proposals. Farewell."
Redcoat
Redcoat

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:33 pm
"Farewell indeed," Pierre replied, nodding respectfully. "May your journey be safe."

As the diplomat left, the ambassador yawned. Tomorrow was going to be a difficult day; he just knew it. Immediately, he sent a dispatch to Capua. The Presidency would need to be informed of events tonight post-haste. When the sun rose, he would be prepared for negotiations with the new Dominante.
Sponsored content