Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Desertback
Desertback

Chapter I: The End of Normality - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapter I: The End of Normality

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm
As soon he heard the response of Hayley. He just nodded and started to slide down to the workshop. It was very quiet in the room and didn't look like the zombies even bothered to get in. He heard of what Hayley said about how the zombies hunt. He was glad the fact they are blind and can only hunt with sound. Just thinking to himself what can he do. He can wield the main door shut but he know they would just start fighting to get in the workshop. He was hoping to armor his truck just so he can at least evacuate but he knew that will be impossible if he does it by himself.

In his mind he was worrying the fact this was a global event and not local. He knew the only way to find out would be to use the TV. He starts walking towards the teachers desk and searches every drawer trying to find the remote. He was kinda happy what he found and understand why his teacher was never teaching. He pulls out a bottle of vodka and thinking to himself.

Dante "This bottles answers why he was so quiet. He was a drunk"

He turns on the tv and immediately turns on the mute button. Every channel that he flipped through was not working. Only thing Dante saw was static and nothing more. He just puts his head on the table just cursing to himself. He looked to the main door and didn't hear anything still. With his anger going on he looks for comfort in the vodka bottle. He pours shot after shot just trying to calm himself in general.

He notice on the floor next to the desk was a key. A key that unlocks the lock to the metal cabinets. He gets out of the chair and just waddles his way to the cabinet that he know contained workshop equipment. Once he open it he found barely nothing. The entire thing contained spare parts to the heavy sawing and drilling equipment, nails and screws, and bundles of copper wires. He was mad but not so much. He found a sledge hammer and metal piping. The sledge hammer would be more useful than the monkey wrench he was using. The metal pipes can have its tips bent in a way to make some spears but still he was not pleased. He goes back to the desk chair and starts to think of all of the projects he had done in his class. Most wouldn't even be used as a weapon in his situation since the class constructed ways to make a boat out of cardboard, how to refine dirty water to clean, construct wooden rally cars, and etc. He kept thinking what he can do and the light bulb in his head lighten up. He thought of a way to make a scythe. He could use one of the large pipes as a handle and cut multiple handle saws as a blade. He starts to grab the metal pipe and starts to cut lines on the end using heavy duty bolt cutters. Once he finish that he grabs at least six hand saws and starts to rip the blades out. He stacks each one together and smears super glue all over so the blades to stick. He punctures two holes into the blades and puts socket head screw cap in each hole then rolling nuts to the end. He starts cutting the blade to look like a scythe blade using the heavy bolt cutters. He nails the blade to the metal pole and when everything is almost done he grabs steel file and sharpens the blade. He looks around and is happy that he was able to do the cutting and sharpening quietly.

He looked at the clock and noticed the sun will set. He is not happy with the fact that the military didn't show up but he was kinda getting board of being alone. He climbs up the ladder with his new toy and once he hit the roof he grab one more cigarette and lights it.

Chef
Chef
Admin

Chapter I: The End of Normality - Page 2 Empty Re: Chapter I: The End of Normality

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm
Harvey stood silently throughout the whole commotion. It was obvious Dante wasn't going to listen to them at the moment. He was a very stubborn person, if Harvey remembered correctly. After hearing what Hayley had to say, Harvey was sure the roof was the best place to say but Dante thought otherwise. Harvey wasn't going to feel bad if that guy ended up getting himself killed because of this.

Ava was readily agreeing with Hayley on this one. There was no point in getting off the roof. It'd just add unnecessary danger. She wished the man agreed with them and stayed with everyone, but apparently that wasn't going to happen. There wasn't much else they could do about it but let him go. It was his choice, after all.

"I guess we might as well make ourselves comfortable up here," Harvey said after a bit, shrugging. "I have a feeling we'll be up here a while."

Harvey walked a bit away from everyone to the railing of the roof, leaning on it. He took out a cigarette and lit it, puffing smoke. By this rate he wouldn't have enough of these to keep him occupied. He was hoping they'd come across a few gas stations he could root through otherwise he'd be getting a little shaky later on.

Ava walked over to Hayley, a little unsure of what was going to happen next. She knew that this was the best place to stay, but what would they be able to do from up here? She was worried about her mother, and was sure the others were worried about their parents as well. At some point in time they'd have to move on.

"Um... Hayley," Ava said to her. "How long are we going to stay up here? I know it's the safest place but... I'm kind of worried about my parents. Do you think help will come quickly enough? If they take too long... will we just have to assume that we've been left behind?"
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin
https://legacysociety.darkbb.com

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm
Hayley had finally settled down. The depressing atmosphere still pervaded however due to the death of Stan and the entire situation that they found themselves in. Even more then sadness was the anticipation and the fear that their families were in dire straights. The mutual feeling of wanting to get to each others' loved ones was felt by all, and in that moment of solidarity, a bond of friendship had started to form between many.

At Ava's question, she simply answered that they would likely be able to leave by tomorrow. By then, she figured, and desperately hoped, that most of them would have been attracted by something and moved away from the school.

Something had then occurred to Hayley. All the time they had been up there on the roof, and with all the commotion that had been going on, none of them had bothered to look to their city. While the others had been sitting down, Hayley took the initiative and crossed the roof, stepping over a large air conditioning pipe and stepping around an air duct, she leaned against the rail at the side of the building and looked to the city. Over the dark trees and smaller buildings, she found the city. Her eyes grew wide.

Bakersfield was as she had never seen it in her life. Buildings burned brightly all around, casting the city into a blood red glow. Dark plumes of black smoke rose into the sky, polluting the clouds overhead. The far away noises of cars speeding and people yelling was a sign that all was not well in Bakersfield.

Hayley nervously looked over toward the wooded areas of suburban Bakersfield. It was all quiet over there, but for how long would that last? Just as she came upon the idea of calling her parents with her cell, it seemed that the worst finally did happen. The lights of the city, with the prime exception being the raging fires, suddenly went dark. An audible groan could be heard toward the city as it happened. Flipping open her cell, she found that her service bars were gone.

All the stress she had been shoving down seemed to explode from her. Her hands gripped the railing until she was white knuckled. Hayley started to breath quickly and harshly, her mind raced. It seemed like her entire world was falling around her and she had no power to stop anything. She couldn't do anything. Flashes of her parents, blood strewn and motionless on the ground - pale and oddly contorted - went through her mind. Then she thought of her brother, her only sibling, who was alone and without his family around him as he ran fruitlessly from them. Tears streamed down her face even more than when Stan had died.

Even though the others could not see her reaction as she was by the other end of the roof, she felt as though she was making a fool of herself. She felt dirty. Taking a deep breath, she resolved to gather herself once more and face what was to come. After all, there was nothing they could do at this point. Once she calmed down, she walked back toward the others, trying hopefully to hide her distress as best as she could.

H-hey guys. Do you think there's anything up here that we could make a fire with? Wait... Dante, is it? You have been into the workshop right? Do you think you can get some wood up here... and anything that can start a fire. Having it on this concrete shouldn't start anything of course - but it will be cold tonight, and I think we need to keep warm." Hayley started a bit awkward but finished as her normal self.
Desertback
Desertback

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm
A city that echoed in chaos is what Dante could only see. He was sitting on the edge of the roof just staring at the undead carrying on their path of destruction. In Dante's mind he compared the zombies to the locusts in the bible. It was a feeding frenzy on the streets and nothing could stop it. As soon Dante's cigarette was burnt to the end one of the students named Haley goes up to him and asks a favor of him. Her words seemed to consist of fear and sadness. It took Haley’s favor to make Dante realize that all of the people on the roof seemed to be depressed. He stood up and told Haley a yes to her response without missing a beat.

As he slides down the four story ladder it looked like as if he was entering a black hole. The entire workshop was pure black, and it seemed that Dante was in his own grave. As he walked around the workshop only letting his hands guide him around he tried to feel what is in front of him as if he was a blind man. Only a couple minutes of misdirection and stubbing his toes to random objects he felt the smooth hood of his truck where he was able to turn on the headlights. The room shined and luckily there was none of the mindless zombies that roamed around the school. In the room he starts to gather anything that will burn from 2x4 boards to even construction paper. He was about to leave the room with the items that can build a fire when he realizes the students who fled the classroom left their school bags behind. He guessed there might be snacks in the bags and anything that can be useful. He gathers every bag in the room and slowly dumps its continents on the floor. Dante was not disappointed to what he discovered in the bags that he dumped. On the floor there where many bags of snacks from nuts to chips, some school jackets, and finally two IPods. He gathers all of the items that he found into a random backpack and starts to haul the wood to the roof.

It was tiring to Dante, but he was able to do it. As soon the fire started to blaze Dante walked away from everyone and picked out his own spot on the roof. It was not close to the warm fire, but it was quiet. He lays on his back facing his head to the night sky watching the stars shinning above.

Last edited by Desertback on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Chef
Chef
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 am
The small fire was going and Ava sat quite close to it with the others, trying to stay as warm as possible. Aside from the light of the fire, it was getting very dark. No lights were on at the school or outside it. It was quite eerie, especially since she knew that those things were hobbling around in the dark down there. They never slept. It was a constant hunt for them.

The others were scared and it was obvious. Thousands of thoughts flooded through their brains all at once. Ava was surprised no one had snapped yet with all of this pressure. It was tough on people as young as they. Things like this just weren't fair. They had a young life to enjoy, and instead they were stuck worrying about things they never thought existed.

Harvey walked over to the fire after a bit, tossing his cigarette off the roof. He took a seat next to his sister, letting out a sigh. Even he was a bit stressed out because of all this. He was worried for their mother, after all. The same couldn't be said about his father. That dick could die for all he cared.

"I can't stand this," Ava said, her head down. "I want to know where mom is."
"She's fine," Harvey said, blowing it off. "There's no reason to worry about her, she can take care of herself."

Harvey didn't really believe that, but figured it'd be more reassuring for Ava. Realistically, their mother was probably dead right now. If things were as bad in town as they were in the school then she'd have a small chance of survival. Harvey sighed and stared into the fire watching the dancing flames.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:10 am
Hayley noticed, from the side of the fire, that Dante hadn't come to join them. Walking away from her spot by the others, she approached him. Dante seemed to be somewhat of an outcast or loner... or at least seemed to have that type of personality. Knowing that their survival depended on being able to work well together - everyone working well with each other - she wanted him to actually join their group.

Looking down to him, as he gazed up at the high stars, she wondered what was on his mind. Was he afraid for his own loved ones as they all were? Was he burdened by their being there?

"Dante, why don't you join us all by the fire. It'll be a lot warmer than being all alone in the dark over here. I mean... you helped to make it, after all." Hayley said in a kind voice.

Allowing him to make up his mind, she went over to the railing again and looked to the north. Somewhere that way, far over the trees of the forest and the sprawling hills beyond, was the city of Helmston. There, her brother was hopefully unharmed by all of this. She could only hope now... the television was down, as well as any form of communication that any of them had. Survival now depended on each of their willpower and want to live.

The low talking of Jaimie, Amber, and the others could only just be heard over the methodical crackling of the fire that they had made. They all were warm, and for the moment had food in their stomachs. The prospect of surviving this ordeal seemed a bit more hopeful to them in such a moment.... yet the question of what was to come in the future scared them all.

Jake looked over to Everett when he entered the dorm-room. Everett asked Jacob if he wanted to grab some food. The question posed was at just the right time. Getting up from his bed, in which he was reading quietly just moments before, he went over to his desk chair and grabbed his jacket. Throwing it on, he swiped the lanyard holding his ID and put it in his pocket.

"Yeah, let's go grab something to eat. I still have a bit of work to get done afterward, but after we can go over to Ptolemy East and see Jessica and the others." Jake responded with a grin.

Jessica Griswold, Alan Gibbs, Ian McCameron, and Emily Sedrik were their close friends that they would usually hang out with during and after dinner on many nights. Jess and Jake had been friends since elementary school, in fact, and were just then starting to go steady as a couple (not to the surprise of anyone else). The other three, they had met during Freshman Orientation two years prior. Since then, all had kept well in touch.

They met in the usual place, by the pond in front of Memorial Hall. Going into the building; which looked like an actual restaurant, rather than a college cafeteria, they all sat down at a half-circle booth after getting their meals from the buffet-style kitchen. After eating, everyone went back to Ptolemy East to enjoy some time together. All of them being 21, were allowed to have alcohol outside of campus, so around 9:00, they walked a bit off campus to the near-by pub called "Elmer's". There they drank a bit and ended up watching the baseball game that was on the TV.

At 12:00, the party decided it was best to go back to their dorms. "Thirsty Thursdays" were better times to go out and drink... they all had class tomorrow. Everett and Jake started to head back. To return toward their end of campus, they had to cross the road at the heart of campus. As they started to do so, however, they stopped dead in their tracks. The beams of a pair of headlights was coming their way... and fast. Before they knew it, a car came flying down the road around 80 miles per hour, barely missing them, and then swerved only to hit a tree almost one hundred feet away. They stood, dumbstruck looking at the vehicle that had been totaled before them.

Jake started toward the car to see if anyone was OK. Normally, he would have stayed rooted to the spot, but the alcohol he had consumed told him to do otherwise. Before he got to the car however, the driver's door swung open with a creek. Jake stopped and looked to Everett. Next came the passenger side door. The driver fell to the ground, mumbling the words "Help Me.". Before he could say it again, he made a sickening cough, resulting in a massive puddle of blood being spit out like vomit. Jake backed away when the man fell face first to the ground... motionless. The passenger had collapsed at the other side of the car. Jake looked closely. In the streetlight above, he could see several marks on both bodies... they looked like bite marks. Walking over to the driver, he rolled him over and gasped, falling onto his butt and backing away in shock.

The driver's entire stomach was open. Pieces of intestine hung out, organs burst or bleeding onto the pavement. Jake tried to hold down the vomit he felt in his throat. He couldn't. Running over to a bush, he vomited until he could stop. A gasp from Everett made him look back over to the car. The two previously dead bodies started to move...

"This isn't happening... this can't be fucking real." Jake said in a low voice. "Everett... Everett we- we need to run... we need to get outta here."
Chef
Chef
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:48 pm
Ava was the first to fall asleep. After a long day of stress and intensity, she needed to rest. There were many things still on her mind, but fatigue took the better of her. She was curled up on the ground, close enough to the fire that it was giving her heat, but not burning her. However, she still appeared to be cold. Harvey looked over at her, sighed, and then took off his jacket, laying it on her like a blanket.

"Stupid kid," Harvey muttered with a slight smile. "Always thinking about others and not herself."

Harvey wasn't tired despite all this. In fact, he was quite restless. He didn't want to stay here long, that's for sure. He wanted to know what was going on with those freaks down there. They needed to get caught up with what was going on. Maybe some news programs would make things a bit clearer. If someone had a radio, that issue would be solved.

Harvey wasn't deathly afraid at the moment. In some ways he was actually a bit happy. He wouldn't have to go to school tomorrow, after all, and he finally had the chance to beat undead versions of kids he had hated throughout his school year. It was kind of sick, but Harvey didn't want to deny that he enjoyed it. It was quite thrilling, actually. The only thing he was worried about right now was his mother and Ava. They weren't as steady as he was in dire situations. They would always be in danger.

He stood up and stretched after a bit, wanting to walk around to keep his blood flowing. He noticed Hayley standing by the rail and decided he might as well burn time and start up some conversation. Harvey casually walked over, standing next to her, looking out at the same city she was staring at.

"You worried about family, too?" Harvey said. "Ava's so worried she fell asleep from thinkin' too hard. This stuff is crazy, you know?"

He took out a pack of cigarettes and held it out to Hayley.

"Cig?" he asked casually. "Despite what people say, it might help cool you down. Frankly, I think long term consequences are the last of our worries right now."
Desertback
Desertback

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:01 pm
Dante was thinking of the days of Palmero Italy, the day his father showed what a Made Man does. He was only eight what he experienced, and that day will change Dante entirely. It was a cold night in the Tuscany Hills where the stars are shinning and the city lights started to fade away in the distance. Dante was in the passenger seat trying to figure out when the car will stop. His father started to turn away from the main road and onto a beaten dirt path.

Only a few minutes later there were multiple cars parked and each aiming their headlights to an old tree that was withering into death. His father got out of the car first and from the car he saw his dad’s associates gather around him shaking hands and exchanging words. But on the corner of his eye he sees a man in the backseat of a car acting unusual. This man looked to be very old and was dressed up in a suit with a fedora. His hands where behind his back and he struggled around the car. Dante’s father opens the door and leads his soon towards to his friends he was talking to.

A man greets Dante and says his name is Gaetano Fidanzati. Dante started to shake violently as if ice was forming around his spine. He knew that name because so did all of Italy. Gaetano Fidanzati is the head boss of the Resuttana Family and his reputation was well known. His father pulls out the old man from the car and throws him next to the tree. “Boss this man has broken Omerta to the cops. All of us have spotted him talking to the police and he is a traitor to all of us.” Dante’s father said loudly. Gaetano Fidanzati walked up to Dante’s father and taps on his shoulder and whispers in his ear. As soon he left Dante’s father pulls out a pistol and gives it to Dante. “Son you will remember this day for the rest of your life. You will be like me and serve the family. Today you will understand what Omerta means if broken.”
……………………………………………………………………
His day dream was broken when footsteps was heading towards Dante. He tilted his head up and saw it was only Haley. He shuffles his pockets and pulls out a cigarette and starts to smoke it while glazing at the stars. He heard what Hailey said to Dante and it was kind of her to care. “I’m alright I prefer the cold better than the heat” said nicely to Hailey. He guessed that the main reason to come over was to figure out why Dante acted the way he does.

He starts to stand up and meets up with Hailey at the railing. He puts his elbows on the rails why rubbing his eyes. He still had the bottle of vodka from the workshop. Dante starts taking gulps of it and just stares at the horizon. He looked over and can easily see what was on her mind. She was scared and she had family she actually loved. “Get some sleep or you might be to tired tomorrow” he said to Hailey. He walks away and sees Harvey heading towards to Hailey. He takes a seat on a air-condition unit and starts drinking the vodka more and more.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:10 pm
The idea of sleep was indeed quite irresistible. As Dante left to go and drink a bit more, she remained at the railing. Harvey had come over to her side. Upon his asking if she wanted a cigarette, she actually had contemplated it. She nodded wordlessly, taking a cigarette from the box he held out to her and thanking him. At the moment, she really did need something to just calm her down...

Getting it lit, she breathed in the smoke deeply. She suddenly found her throat constricting from the inhalation, leading to her coughing and spluttering. Her eyes watered a bit from the effort; but in the end, even with everything going to hell around them, she started to laugh. It was ridiculous... she could kill multiple people in a day with naught but a broken broom stick, but she couldn't even smoke one cigarette.

"Maybe smoking just isn't for me, Harvey." She said mid laugh. "Thanks." She finished with a kind smile.

As they leaned there at the rail, overlooking the dark city below, she tried not to worry anymore. Surely her parents would have found shelter somewhere. Perhaps they barricaded themselves at home.... they would definitely be safe... definitely. Although with his hardened exterior and rather indifferent attitude, Hayley could tell that Harvey was worried.

"You're a bit like my brother, Harvey. Have you ever met him? He's in Helmston University... I wonder if... if he's alright over there." Hayley thought out loud.

Jake and Everett had run, as hard as their feet could take them. Both stumbled due to the alcohol still in their bodies all the way back to Darius West. The campus was still rather quiet, perhaps those two people were dead already. He had no idea what the hell just happened...

Running to the front entrance of their dorm building, Jake hastily swiped his ID card over the scanner and ripped open the door. One of their friends - Ashley Jennings - sat alone in the front lobby. Ashley was slender, rather attractive, and had long brown hair, many times tied into a ponytail. She always worked on those nights to sign people in and out of the building... a safety precaution prescribed by the administrative office. She took one look at them and smirked. She definitely knew that they had both been drinking.

"Good night at Elmer's... Jake, Everett?" Ashley asked looking up from her laptop.

"Uhhh... yea... until we were almost run over on Middle Street coming back here." Jake replied.

"Middle Street? They were students then? Go report them or something." Ashley waved it away.

"No... these were two guys. Something wasn't right with them, they were fuckin' torn to shreds." Everett cringed.

"Shreds? Were they beat up or something?" Ashley asked, suddenly becoming a bit serious.

Jake and Everett sat in the chairs by the desk she was at. They leaned back, trying to still gather themselves mentally and physically. They had run all the way across campus to Darius West. Jake looked back to Ashley.

"It was worse than beat up... this guy's stomach was like.. torn open. I'm surprised he wasn't fuckin' dead." Jake replied.

Ashley leaned back in her own chair, looking at the two of them. They obviously were serious, and had been through a shock. Even alcohol wouldn't give them hallucinations like the one's that they had described. Whatever happened out there was serious.... Getting up from her seat, she went to the door and looked out through the paneled window. It was quite dark out but she could see by the lamplight that nothing stirred on their part of campus.

Fishing her cell phone from her purse, she flipped it open and called the campus police. Reciting what Jake and Everett told her, she notified the police about the accident and the driver's strange behavior.

"The officers should be on their way to the accident... do you guys need anything?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah, sleep." Everett said with a groan in his voice. He rubbed his eyes and got up from the chair.

"I think we're just gonna go back to our room. You're welcome to come hang out if you want - your shift is over around now anyway, right?" Jake said.

"Yeah, why not. I don't fell like sleeping anyway..." Ashley said as she packed up her laptop and work papers.

Following them to their dorm room, they all entered and sat around. Their dorm was considered one of the best on campus due to the sheer amount of interesting things within. It was as big as any other, but they added furniture and neat gadgets to make the room truly like a second home. Carpets were draped on the floor, pictures and posters of various things covered almost every square inch of the walls. A fake ficus plant stood at one corner next to a small leather couch. Their beds were bunked on one side of the room, and their wardrobes stood at the other. Atop a large cabinet sat a large LCD TV. Hooked up to that was a video game system and a sound system. A small refrigerator stood adjacent to that and atop that a built-in microwave. Strung around the walls were Christmas lights and part lights. On a stand sat a party system light that would flash, strobe, and perform laser lights if so desired. Both of their desks sat in corners, topped by laptops and everything else that they needed.

As they all sat, Ashley remembered that she had forgot to finish her Psychology 430 homework - Jake allowed her to use his desk for that. Casually, he sprawled out on their couch and flipped on the television. Blinking on in 1080p HD - something that could be considered the greatest envy of the other guys on their floor - he flipped through the stations. Finding nothing at first, he threw the controller to Everett. As he went through the channels, he stopped for a moment upon a news channel local to them.

"Hey, Ev... go back to Channel 17 for a second." Jake said, suddenly sitting up.

As he did so, they saw a reporter in a large city. Fires raged behind them as they pointed to the destruction behind them. Police officers, all armored like the SWAT stood around the reporter. Everett and Ashley started to watch now too.

"I am here in Bakersfield surrounded by guards who are tasked to protect my life at all costs. This news is to go out to the entire nation soon as a warning of what is to come. Something catastrophic has occurred here in this sleepy city of Bakersfield, something terrible that only was thought to happen in fiction.

An Infection has taken hold of this city, plunging the citizens into disarray. The infection is fast killing and seemingly... reanimates the dead after a matter of time - depending on where it is applied and how fast it travels through the body. I am told a number estimating a few thousand deaths has been recorded by police who are struggling to hold the Infected at bay. Please be aware that these Infected should NOT be approached under any circumstances. They are seemingly blind but attracted by sound, and they carry the Infection with their bites. The Infected are highly dangerous.

It is asked that all civilians please stay in your homes, lock your doors, and try to make no noise. The situation will be under control shortly."

Jake and the others watched with expressions of fright. It was only a city away, mere miles. Ashley and Everett looked to each other in silent shock... was this some kind of sick joke? Jake however, sat in horror, the revelations of what was going on in his hometown struck him numb. Getting up from the sofa, he snatched his phone from his bed and quickly tried to call his mother. A dial tone signalling that the phone-line was down came to his ear. With increasing desperation, he called his sister Hayley.

All was silent. Her cell was either off, or something was seriously wrong. He knew Hayley... she never shut off her cell, she was practically attached to the thing. Looking to Everett and Ashley he tried to mouth his fright but could find no words to say. Just as he was about to run to his door, Ashley barred his way.

"Hold on! You're just gonna get yourself killed! Not to mention your drunk!" Ashley said forcefully.

"I don't care... my family's over there!" Jake yelled with anger.

Just as he was about to get to his door, the lights gave a flicker. They all stopped what they were doing and looked to each other. Suddenly, the electricity went out completely, plunging the dorm into darkness.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:06 pm
Harvey chuckled a bit at Hayley's attempt to smoke a cigarette. At least she tried, Harvey thought to himself. He was almost surprised she took one. He figured she'd act a little differently and decline. She was probably desperate to find some method to calm herself, so he couldn't blame her for accepting it.

"Yeah, I knew Jake," Harvey replied to her, lighting a cigarette for himself. "He's a good guy. Never got too close to him, but you could say we're friends."

She was concerned for her brother, Harvey knew that. All of them were in the same situation, worried sick for their families and friends. Harvey felt the same himself.

"I don't know if anyone is 'alright' anymore," Harvey continued. "But Helmston's a ways away. I don't think the madness here has spread that far yet. It inevitably will, but I think for now the only people we have to worry about are in this town."

Harvey didn't really know whether that was true or not. He had no idea how far this strange curse has spread. For all he knew it was all over the world already. It certainly had the potential to travel incredibly fast, if these things could turn living people into one of their own.

"Maybe you should get some sleep," Harvey said to Hayley. "I can stay up and keep an eye out for things. I'm not tired."

Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Hayley did as was suggested. Her exhaustion from the day, her sadness and the stress she had felt until then seemed to fall upon her like a lead weight. Sleep came quickly, and all of that seemed to lift. She felt light as she curled up by the fire near Ava. She felt at that moment, looking back at things, that she could trust everyone on that roof, even Dante - as indifferent as he seemed.

Letting slumber take a hold of her, she drifted off into dreams that she would not remember when she woke up the following morning. It was a bliss more rewarding than she had ever felt - likely because she had never had a day quite like that.

The crackling of the fire, and light breathing of those sleeping, and the melodic breeze that flowed around them lulled them all to sleep aside from Harvey, who sat watchful over them all.

Early in the morning, around 7:00 AM, Hayley woke up. He rubbed her eyes in that childish way one always does in the morning. She almost forgot that there were others around her, it took her by surprise until she remembered seconds later about what happened the day before. If only she could go back then and none of this would have happened. She would've liked to have woken up in her cozy bed back at home.

Sitting up, she looked to their fire. It was naught but a bit of glowing embers now. The sun had started to come up, casting the city into a twilight. Still, buildings seemed to be burning as a few plumes of smoke could be seen in the distance.

Hayley looked over toward the air-conditioning unit - Dante seemed to be sleeping... or passed out... atop of it. Harvey was slumped against the railing - he likely fell asleep quite early in the morning. The other remained around the embers - curled up in their jackets. She shook both Jaimie and Amber awake, then went to Ava third.

"C'mon, get up. We have to leave soon." Hayley said quietly to each of them.

Next, she went to wake up Harvey, John, and then Dante. She shook them and said the same as what she said to the latter. When they all gathered themselves up and waited, Hayley thought of what they should do next.

Obviously, they would have to get down off the roof and into town... They would have to be extremely careful. Most of them wanted to get to their families... but it would be a terrible idea to split up. She finally came to a conclusion - they would leave for the closest person's house and take refuge there for a while. Surely, an adult could help them.

Jake and the others were frozen. Each were looking to each other... or where they thought the other was through the pitch darkness. Looking out the window, the lamps had gone out as well... the only hint of light came from the moon high above. Grabbing their cell phones, they flipped them and used the LED lights to see where everyone was.

"Ashley, Everett - you don't think..." Jake started.

"I think that guy was one of them. One of those Infected! Shit! It's gonna happen here now too!" Everett said rather hysterically.

"Calm down! There... there has to be some rational explanation for all of this. Maybe there's a storm coming and the power went down." Ashley blustered.

"No... this can't be a coincidence! I have to get to my sister and my parents." Jake resolved.

Shots from across campus rang out through the air. It came from the spot where the car had crashed. Obviously, whatever was still there was no longer human. The shots seemed to continue, however they were slightly drowned out by the campus-wide intercom system popping to life.

"Students and faculty, there has been siting of the Infected on campus. Please stay in your buildings and be sure to lock all doors and windows. Helmston University is now in a state of lock-down, this is not a drill."

Jake had already resolved to leave, however the introduction of the Infected on their own campus scared him. His fright was pushed aside by an overwhelming want to get home and to make sure that his parents and sister were OK. He would fight to get there if he had to. Walking to his wardrobe, he opened the doors and fished out his Kendo Katana.

"If you guys really want to stay here, go right ahead, but I'm leaving and no one can stop me." Jake said.

"W-wait... Jake..." Everett started.

"No, that's that." Jake said, he had extended his katana toward Everett as a threat. "Don't get in my way..."
Desertback
Desertback

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm
Dante woken up when Hailey started to shake him softly, it worked but he still felled on the ground. He stood up and pulled out his cellphone to see the time it is. It was 7:00 am in the morning but problem was he was drinking heavily till 4 in the morning. He scratch his head and crawled his was to the edge just so he can throw up.

When he was done throwing up at the edge he walks around the roof trying to find the vodka bottle he was drinking last night. When he found the bottle it was nearly gone. He pours what’s left of the bottle in his mouth and starts swishing it in his mouth to clean it. “I should go in the workshop and clean myself up”. He head towards the ladder and slides down into the classroom. He walks up to his truck and pulls out a duffel bag that was behind the front seat. It was his spare clothes that he always had when he traveled to college towns. He starts changing out of his school clothes and puts on a black dress shirt with a red tie, tan shorts, and finally a pair of sunglasses. Dante no longer cared about the zombies that where just on the other side of the classrooms wall. He was annoyed and didn't care if they where dangerous. He was confident in himself when it came to killing the zombies. He climbs up the ladder to see what he will do now.

Everyone gathered around and Hailey starts to talk. Dante guessed all of them will plan to do another stay on the roof but he was wrong. The plan was to go door to door to all of the homes of everyone in the group to see if there families where still alive. He lived alone and the only thing that will be in his apartment would be more liquor bottles and nothing useful. He starts to walk to the air condition unit in order to pick up his homemade scythe. He thought he might be able to find some better weapon like a machete or even a crossbow. While the group exchanges whose home is close he just sits on the air condition unit and lights a cigarette waiting to go.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 pm
Morning came almost too quickly. Harvey couldn't even remember falling asleep that night. He's just been staring up at the stars when he suddenly heard Hayley's voice waking everyone up. Ava was also awake, rubbing her eyes softly and holding the jacket Harvey gave to her. She walked over to him and handed it back.

"Thanks, Harvey," she said.

Harvey responded with a grunt, putting the jacket back on quickly and putting his cigarettes and lighter back in the pocket.

"What do we do today?" Ava asked Harvey, unsure of their next actions.
"We go find mom and pop," Harvey replied frankly.
"You think their still alive?"
"Of course I think their alive. But it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what I know. And I definitely don't know if they are alive or not. So please, don't fool yourself."

Ava didn't like the response she got, but knew he was right. She couldn't get her hopes up for something that was probably an unrealistic thought. If mother was alive, it'd be a miracle. Ava believed in miracles, though. Maybe that'd help.

Harvey walked away from Ava and to the others. They were all gathering together whatever things they had and getting ready to leave. There weren't many confident faces out there, but he expected they would all be prepared to do what they must to survive.

"So are we ready to get our asses in gear or what?" Harvey asked. "Whose house do we get to visit first?"

jbrians64
jbrians64

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:38 am
John looked around as the discussion was brought up of who's house to visit. John pondered the answer. His house was close, and if his father was there, they could seek survival from him. His mother wasn't, he knew, for she was visiting her relatives, in a different state. What a relief, thought John, that she was safe, but then he knew that his father could probably handle himself.

However, his father might leave the others to die, but John doubted it. Faults he may have, but his father understood the word teamwork better than he did, for John never had much experience with it, no one wanted him to play on their team in basketball when he was in seventh grade.

He took out his notepad, and it was a special notepad where he recorded the tactics, strategy, and organization of parts of the armed forces of the US Military. He also attempted to guess through his father's somewhat mysterious career.

"Alright, I have an idea. We may attempt to go into mine, for it is six blocks down south. My father, if he is there, may be trusted. Over the years, I tried to guess his military career. So far, I know he joined the US Army in 1986, as a Private, and by 1988, was a Specialist in the 3rd Infantry Division. At that point, he took the Special Forces Qualification Course, and in 1989, was a Sergeant in the 7th Special Forces Group, serving as a Communications Sergeant. I know he fought in Panama, Operation Just Cause, but after that it gets weird. When he was promoted into Staff Sergeantcy, he wasn't in the 7th SFG anymore, but in 1993, comes back as a Sergeant Major, becoming his Company's Operations Sergeant."

John was hopeful that they might learn how to survive from him.

"That's what we need the most, survival, and I think he's the man to teach it, if he's alive, and I do hope he is. We can't run far, because I know there would be more and more beings all over the place. I don't believe this is the one area where they crawl around, I think this was fierce, and spread like a pandemic. On our way, we'd have to be extremely quiet, though." Brians knew staying here would be prolonged torment, they'd just have to go to a different location, or their minds would be lost.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:36 pm
Hayley thought for a moment. She had originally intended on going to her own home to check on her parents - so John lived closer? As she meditated on what they should do, she stood by the long ladder down to the ground far below. In one hand, she gripped her spear. Either way, they would only be taking a short rest at his home, if it was the closest. Hayley knew that John probably would want to stay with his father, after all it was the only sensible thing, right? So slowly, their pack would grow smaller and smaller until only one or two people remained. The prospect didn't seem too inviting.

The want to see her own loved ones was at the front of her mind. She would do anything to see them well. She could only hope that they had escaped the terror of what had been happening in the city. Her father, Yoko Shimura was a private contractor - he was either working at home, or out to see his client. Her mother Hikari Shimura was likely at the elementary school as she was a teacher there. It had been a full day since what would be called Z-Day, but she had a feeling that they would both have striven to return home. As for the others, their houses were just as important to get to. Everyone wanted to get back to someone.

"Alright then, John, we'll stop at your house first. If your parents aren't there though, we will maybe stay for the night and then we have to move." Hayley said.

Throwing her spear over the side of the railing, it fell with a soft sound onto the damp grass three stories below. Grasping the rungs of the long ladder that led down the side of the building, she made her way down toward the bottom. Hayley tried to conceal that she closed her eyes the entire way - she never was one for heights. Considering the situation they were all in, however, she swallowed her fear and descended toward the ground. Upon touching feet onto the grass, she grasped her spear and beckoned the others down after she took a look around and saw that the coast was clear.

She stood at the side of the school. Feet away, there was a small side road that was bordered at the other side by homes. From there, the road would slowly snake down the large hill that the school resided upon and would head straight into the city. Their route was clear - decidedly John would direct them to his place of residence. Hayley knew that they would likely run into clusters of them on their way to their destination, however she could only hope her gut was wrong.

Jake grabbed his draw-string bag and filled it with various items from food and water to a blanket and a flashlight. His friends stood motionless in the dark room, lit by the moon and their cellphones that they held aloft. Everett cut the unbearable silence quickly however.

"Listen, Jake... I'm coming with you. If... If that Infection really has spread here onto campus than we're no better off. And it's not really possible for me to get back home when I live two states away and I don't have a car, huh? When we get to your place, I'll just tell my parents I'm with you..." Everett said.

Jake had stopped. Looking to his roommate, a small thankful smile crept across his face.

"Thanks man, that means a lot." Jake said.

"W-well... then I'm coming too! I live in state... but like, hours away. I doubt my parents would come to get me anyway with everything that's going on... For all we know, they'll probably trying to call me to tell me to stay in my dorm and wait it out or something..." Ashley resolved as well, ending her explanation with a nervous laugh.

"OK, so Jake... what about everyone else? What about Alan, Ian, and Emily... and Jessica?" Everett asked with sudden realization that they could be in danger.

Ptolemy East was closest to the accident... they were farthest. Jake knew that they were more liable to run into The Infected than they were. The thought of Jessica turning into one of them churned his stomach with a mix of fright and anger. Gripping that wooden Kendo katana, he knew what he had to do.

"We're gonna go get them... we have to go get them. And then we can leave here. I drive a pickup, so we can just put the others in the back. Let's see... so it's myself, you Everett, you Ashley, Jessica, Alan, Ian, and Emily... OK. I can fit five including myself in the truck. The other three can sit in the back, they should be alright. I have a feeling that taking multiple cars will just cause trouble - traffic out of Bakersfield, and soon Helmston might be really bad." Jake considered.

"That sounds good. Let me get some stuff packed..." Everett said.

"Oh yea, I should head back to my room and grab some things. That utility knife might come in handy!" Ashley thought out loud.

"Utility knife? Why would you have that?" Everett asked with a smirk.

"Hey, you never know... right?" Ashley said.

Ashley had left their dorm for a long while. Everett and Jake had finished their packing quickly, and as they waited for Ashley, sighing they thought that she was packing everything that was quite unnecessary... just as all girls would. Just as Jake started fumbling with his sword's hilt, their door slammed open and shut just as quickly. A frazzled Ashley stood looking at them with eyes wide open in fear. She leaned against the door and slid down, breathing a sigh of relief once inside.

"What's the matter.... did you bring enough to put you that out of breath?" Everett asked with a laugh.

"No, idiot! They're here... in the building... The Infected."

Everett and Jake took one look at each other and knew that they had to leave... and quickly. The building's electricity was still out, they had to be careful. Jake motioned for Ashley to get up, and once she did so, he made to open the door. Something wasn't right - down the hall, signs of a struggle could be heard. Screams pierced the relative quiet of the dorm soon after. Doors started to open from various rooms - guys started to poke their heads out to see what was wrong. But then, it happened - a girl came busting through the stairway door and onto their floor, she was limping badly and in great distress obviously by the look on her face. Soon, a hobbling guy came running after. Upon tackling her to the ground, he started to actually bit straight into her flesh - resulting in the most terrible screams that any of them had ever heard.

"Shit, we need to get out of here!" Jake said.

They all left his room, leaving him to lock it up which he did quickly. Shoving his lanyard into his pocket, he ran with the others to the other end of the hall to the second stairwell door. Yelling blasted into their ears and panicking guys and girls hurriedly made their way down the stairs in the most haphazardly way possible. People pushed each other out of the way, eager to get the hell out of the building and into what they hoped would be the arms of freedom. Running into the lobby into the midst of everyone else in the dorm, the door was thrown open. Students screamed suddenly, some of the Infected had been sauntering by the front of the dorm building and started to attack the noisy college students. They had all started to scatter every which way. Jake steered the other two away from the main entrance and led them down the side hall where they burst out and into the cool night air.

"So, Ptolemy East, right?" Ashley asked as she gripped Everett's arm with increasing intensity. Everett didn't seem to mind this... or leastways he didn't seem to notice.

Jake nodded and they ran across campus. They had all thrown their bags over their shoulders and all of them seemed to carry some form of weapon. Jake has his training katana, Everett a baseball bat, and Ashley her utility knife. The cool air hit them in bursts as they ran. When they reached a large field that lay in the very center of a few dorm and academic buildings, they could see the outlines of students. They were not running however, merely walking aimlessly. This did not feel right to Jake and the others. Nevertheless, they continued to run... until Everett stepped onto a Frisbee left on the dark grass. The resounding "CRACK" made them stop, and the one's who had been walking as well. When the walking students had promptly started to saunter toward them, they knew trouble neared. Ptolemy East wasn't too far away, but getting past them would be a bit difficult.

Chef
Chef
Admin

Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 pm
Harvey listened dully as John listed off many of his father's achievements. It almost made him feel like he was trying to rub it in that his dad was better than all of theirs. People like that were people that Harvey couldn't stand. They really didn't need to know all that stuff. All it did was serve to annoy Harvey until he got a headache.

Ava didn't care who they went to first. She knew that they were a bit farther in than quite a few people that lived close by the school, so they'd likely find their parents after a few people. It bugged her, yes, but she couldn't be selfish. Everyone here wanted to see their parents, so they'd have to wait in line.

She followed Hayley down the ladder and Harvey came down soon after. They were finally out of the school and into the big wide world. A big wide world full of zombies. By now the whole population could be like this. Harvey walked up to John, his hands in his pockets, ready to get out of here.

"Are you going to lead us on or tell some more fuckin' stories about good ol' pop?" he asked with a smirk on his face.
Desertback
Desertback

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:59 pm
Everyone was climbing down the stairs except for Dante. He was smoking a cigarette thinking to himself. He had no family in this little town and if he did he wouldn't care. His only family was his step-mom who didn't care what happen to her. She spent almost all of Dante's inheritance on crap and once he turned 18 she left for New York City and mooch off some other prick. Both parents are dead and he doesn't know any other relatives and if he did they will be in Italy enjoying themselves.

By the time Dante his thoughts where done he was the only one on the roof. It was a nuisance that he would have to do this. He knew in a way most of their parents will be dead or gone and he will have to work with emotional crippled people. "God damn it" he says to himself.

He slides down carrying his scythe on his back and hits the first floor. Everyone was looking around the horizon just to see if zombies are near by. He started to head the main street slowly to see what the damage is. It was not a pretty sight on the avenue. Bodies where scatter all over the road, the smell was horrific, and blood sprayed all over. It looked like as if genocide was committed here on the street.

He walks back to the others and said "We should avoid the main road, it looks like hell and smells like it as well".
jbrians64
jbrians64

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 am
John looked up. So Harvey thought that he loved his dad, did he?

"I hate him more than you do." he said coldly. "My own father doesn't mean a crap to me at the moment, what matters to me, is living. I think it's highly unlikely that he's alive, and I'm not looking forward to be relieved of that possibility." John walked down the ladder, seeing that now, there was no authority at all in Bakersfield. What was there, were just rundown poor substitutes of its buildings.

John looked up when Dante suggested they stay off the main road. Seemed like a good idea, but something else would have conflicted. He starts speaking a bit softer than usual, in case it springs up hordes of the beings.

"However, what we must know, is that if we do advance down small roads, we'll be taken down at corners, which we must avoid. We'll have to have some space at least, if ever we need to run away from these beings." said John, and, something else sprang up, like an idea. "We need arms, more than simple wooden chairs or mops, we need more than that. If there are weapons here, I wouldn't know, but I could see police cruisers throughout the city, and I don't know how they fared."

John walks over to a dead body, that stands slumped on a ruined and burning car. Blood was strewn all over the body, and was still steadily dripping. The sight was horrifying, but John resisted the temptation to puke, he knew it wouldn't do just now, but he still felt a bit sick.

John begins leading them down to his house, making sure that they move quietly, and when they go two blocks down south, he suddenly remembers something.

"What you must know, is that my father is most likely dead. I know my mother's safe, so I am not worrying as of now, except for myself. If she was here in Bakersfield, I'd be sobbing by now, but I'm only leading you to my place because I feel it's closest, and I wanna barricade the hell out of it when we get there." John spoke quietly.

"We're not staying there long though, I can assure you it won't be safe, I do live close to the school, where all this started." John said the last sentence in disgust, because all of the pandemonium happened at the school, and now they were all tangled in the mess. He actually hated his father, and his father most likely was disappointed to have him as a son, but he was ready to tolerate his existence, if such a thing was needed.
Desertback
Desertback

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:42 pm
Dante was listening to the jabbering of two idiots and it was aggravating to him. "You two shut up because all you are doing is revealing your arrogance" he said to John and Harvey. "I seriously don't care if your emotions to your dad is love or hate but I can say no doubt you will sob for their death"

He steps ahead of everyone just so he can make it clear to the entire group. "None of you don't even know the meaning of cold. You will be emotionally compromised when you see your family dead regardless of how you feel for them. Even the most coldest bastard will show emotions to anyone that is related to them so don't get cocky. None of you have deal in the business of death so listen to someone who has been around it. A man who acts toughness will only die, a man who is to arrogant will only die, and finally a man who is emotionally crippled will only die" he said firmly. He grabs his scythe and pulls it out with his right hand and faces away from the group.

"The only way to live is make a promise to yourself. If you see a family member dead use it to your advantage. You have to promise yourself to live and I don't care what it will be but make sure it is something that will affect you" he said smoothly.

In his mind Dante was planning ahead for the trip. If John's father was in the military his home should contain items that can help out in survival. He is hoping the house might contain military communication equipment or weapons. But he question John's assessment on his father career. It was only logical for a father to tell his career to his kin unless it was something classified. Either way the more covert the job was then there should be better equipment that comes with it. But he more worried about the stability of the others. After all they are just Americans who lived in a peaceful life in this shit town. Dante was the only person in the group who has seen the ugliness of the world at first hand. He was a born an Mafioso and has done his share with his father until he died. Either way his skills will now be in good use.
jbrians64
jbrians64

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:01 pm
John bit back the retort he was longing to utter. The meaning of cold, as Dante put it, has been somewhat the answer that a gang member seeking forgiveness would put in. He wondered if Dante and Harvey had been gang members or not, but something was strange. No matter what he said, everyone dies. Everyone. No one can live forever. Perhaps put the group to an explanation of it, on his philosophical take on it?

"Everyone dies, period. That's the main point, immortality is only being remembered forever, and I don't believe in that, but those who believe immortality is living thousands of years, they haven't grown up yet. You say you were a dealer in the "business of death", and perhaps, though it is highly unlikely, you killed someone, you're not the dealer. No one is. Death is natural and inevitable, and though you might doubt my words, I don't fear death. What I fear, is pain, and if the hordes shall get too close, I shall attempt to commit suicide, I fear all kinds of pain, though mental and emotional pain I fear more than the other kinds." John explained, and now, he wondered why he had few friends. Immaturity, some people were too much of dumbasses to listen to Brians, and always shunned him out.

"Our plan of living, I'm trying to see through it too, I know, Dante, you're thinking about it, but we must think and make decisions soon, if we are to survive. That includes our supply of weaponry, food, the necessary provisions." They have now neared John's block, and John sees that the number of dead bodies have somewhat decreased as they came closer, but still, the bodies remained, slumped on cars, lying on the sidewalk, it was a mess. "There's my home" John points.

It was a normal New England style house, you can put it, with a normal front lawn and a mailbox on it. The porch had blood around it, and a dead body was slumped on the side of the house. However, John's father's car was not outside, it was gone. He must have left, John thought, and John wondered where he went, but that was not to be questioned as of now. John strode over to the porch, wondering what would happen if he went in the house. Quietly opening the front door, he strode in. It was clean, thank heavens, but it was empty, as John scanned each room. A few closet doors were open, but John thought that his father must have searched for something. Relief ran across John's mind as he went in his room, and found no being in it.

John checked the answering machine, and found a message. His mother's voice came.

"If any of you are there, get to us right now!" John knew his mother wanted them to come to her and her parents, but there was a time when his father disappeared completely, after Panama, no doubt doing something extremely covert, in a time of grave need. John did nothing, after the machine was done. It was time for him to disappear.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum