Legacy Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
King Calamity
King Calamity

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution - Page 5 Empty Re: Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 pm
Hayate ducked down just in time to narrowly avoid Souji's blade, although it did take his hat. He smiled again, "Why, Mr. Souji," he said, "you've ruined my hat. Truly, this is unforgivable. I will have my revenge." Quickly, and from a close distance, Hayate swung his sheath at Souji's side, delivering a light strike and dove back. "That was a fine battoujutsu, Mr. Souji, but I've seen that technique many times. It was my old sparring partner's favorite technique. He should be here right now, in fact, so if you'd like to, you could meet him," he said, "but only if you can survive long enough."

----------------------

"Just shut up," Hiraku said, "both of you. Ryouichi, if you continue to fight like that, this man will have no trouble killing you. Calm yourself and focus that anger of yours, I know you're more skilled than this. As for the rest of you," he continued, returning to his battoujutsu stance, "I don't care how many of you come at me, I've no intention of dying here either way."
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin
https://legacysociety.darkbb.com

Chapter I:  Embers of the Revolution - Page 5 Empty Re: Chapter I: Embers of the Revolution

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:33 pm
Souji jumped back and smirked. He hadn't had this much fun in quite a long time. The last time was probably ten years ago during the end of the Bakumatsu when he and Hajime had a friendly duel at the HQ. Holding his katana in one hand, he got back into a fighting stance.

"Truly, I am honored to fight someone as skilled as yourself, Hayate-san. Good swordsmen are rarities in this Meiji era, sadly." Souji said.

Back in the courtyard, the fighting went on. Moments before Hijikata was attacked by the enemy, he ordered his recruit to retreat back to their HQ. Once he did so... the real battle started. Shimpachi and the others still stood, barring the way into the HQ, where Souji was deep into a duel. Kondo Isami moved forward and eyes their enemy who had yet to make a move. Looking at his stance, he surmised that they were a Battoujutsu user. Isami drew his own katana and approached his opponent. He bowed slightly in respect.

"I am Kondo Isami, commander of the Shinsengumi. I will be your opponent, swordsman."

Kondo, was indeed one of the three founders of the Shinsengumi. He was also an original member of their past group called the Roshingumi. He was known, throughout the Bakumatsu of being a very cheerful and light-hearted man. His attitude, when not in battle, was almost always jovial, which is in stark contrast to his own Vice-Commander's. However, his skill in war was undeniable.

Chef
Chef
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm
Ryouichi didn't know how to respond to the man as they got caught in the deadlock. This man couldn't be right, but for some reason Ryouichi wanted to believe him. Confused and enraged thoughts flowed through his head until he pushed the swordsman away and jumped back a good distance away from the man to catch his breath. His eyes were filled with rage until he heard Hiraku's voice. After hearing the man's words, he snapped out of his crazed trance.

Ryouichi looked over at Hiraku, nodding. He's right, Ryouichi thought to himself. If I continue to be reckless I won't accomplish anything aside from getting myself killed. I have to focus. I can beat this man... I know it. Ryouichi closed his eyes for a short moment, opening them once again, his eyes much more piercing and focused than before. He let the rage flow out of him until he felt he was ready to continue this battle. He looked at the man he had been fighting this whole time.

"Your words are as empty as your soul," Ryouichi said, his voice calm and level. "Now enough talk! Let's finish this, swordsman. Let's see who the better man is..."

Ryouichi pulled out his tanto and got into a more defensive stance. This time the Shinsengumi swordsman could take the move. If he could time his defenses right, Ryouichi could deal a counter attack, as he was taught long ago by his father. He just had to stay calm and aware of his surroundings and his opponent...

King Calamity
King Calamity

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 pm
"Yeah, yeah," Hayate sighed, "'The shameful new era.' Not everyone is suited to the ecstasy of near death, Mr. Souji. I, however," Hayate charged at Souji and swung at his side again, "can't get enough."

---------------------------

Hiraku looked carefully at his opponent. It didn't appear he would make the first move, so Hiraku charged at him with a battoujutsu attack for his chest.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 pm
Hijikata sighed and prepared to attack, he knew that his opponent wouldn't be the one to attack first. Readying his blade, he moved his feet apart in the dirt, as if he were about to run. His blade suddenly was poised horizontally, he was in the Gatotsu stance.

"Remember, in the era we are in now, the only way we are ever able to wash away blood, is with more blood." Hijikata yelled as he started his charge.

Kondo Isami brought his blade out in front of him, gripping the hilt with both hands. The blade faced downward vertically, blocking the Iai-jutsu attack that his opponent used. As the blades were locked together, he found himself slowly being forced back from the attack. In response, Isami pushed forward, turning the blade edge first and then putting his other hand on its blunt side. Giving a bellow, he pushed forward with all his might, sending the opponent back.

"Isn't it proper manners for two warriors to introduce themselves?" Isami asked.

Souji swiped aside Hayate's blade just barely, from his side with his Wakizashi. The fringe of his haori was slightly nicked, and teared at the edge of the katana blade. Beneath his breath, Souji cursed... that fabric wasn't easy to replace. Swinging around, his Katana, which was held in his other hand, swung upward in a slash from Hayate's hip to shoulder.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:59 pm
"You're wrong!" yelled Ryouichi as the man charged at him. He rolled to the side to avoid the blow and returned with a counter attack, which put them in a deadlock once more.

"You say the only way to wash away blood is with more blood," he said in a strained, perspiration going down his face. "If you commit to such an ideal, eventually there won't be any blood left for you to spill!"

Ryouichi yelled and pushed the man back, getting out of the deadlock and jumped forward quickly, barraging the man the a large number of attacks, using both his ninjato and tanto with lightning speed.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm
"Very well then," Hiraku said, "I am Hiraku Raiden, and you?"

----------------

Hayate leapt back to avoid the slash, and the blade managed to just slice through his jacket and shirt, leaving a shallow cut on his chest.

"It appears we've both managed something of a hit," Hayate said, "if you'd call it even that much. Though when it comes to ruining clothing, you've definitely got the lead. Why, this was my favorite jacket, too." He said as he pulled it tighter around himself before it sagged any further.

Onibasu noticed something while Hayate's jacket was falling and chose to finally speak up.

"Okita-san," she said, "I'd advise you be ready for foul play, this man is concealing a pistol!"

"So, the ninja girl finally speaks," Hayate sighed, "I was almost beginning to think you were a figment of my imagination or something. But now you've gone and ruined the surprise," he said as he let his jacket fall, revealing the revolver strapped to his chest. "Yes, I do keep a pistol, though I really do prefer not to use it." Hayate assumed a fighting stance once again. "So I hope we can continue, now that there's no secrets between us?"
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:18 pm
Souji grinned after seeing the jacket fall, revealing the hidden pistol. Looking to Onibasu, he nodded in silent gesture as thanks for the hint. Getting back into a stance he took up his katana again.

"Hahaha... well, I suppose everyone should have an escape plan. I knew if you did have such a thing, you would never take it out during this duel, for a warriors honor is absolute." Souji said.

Kondo looked at Hiraku with a quizzical stare. Laughing suddenly, he scratched the back of his neck with a hint of embarrassment.

"Ehehe... you must have not heard me.." Kondo started, a embarrassed smile upon his face, odd-looking upon a warrior in the middle of battle. He cleared his throat and introduced himself again. "I am Kondo Isami, Commander of the Shinsengumi."

Hijikata dodged the tanto as he blocked the other slashed and stabs with his Katana and Wakizashi. As he backpedalled before the vicious melee that came upon him, he swung to the enemy's right, keeping his Wakizashi as a defense.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:09 pm
Ryouichi saw the blade coming hard at his right, raising his ninjato to block. The force of the impact caused Ryouichi to clench his teeth in strain. He swiped the katana away with his tanto and jumped back once more, escaping another sword slash.

"Don't you see it's useless to continue on?" Ryouichi said to the man, trying to make him reconsider this. "Taking over a government with only swords is impossible now. This mission that you swordsmen have taken is useless and foolish. Stop reliving the past and face the present!"

Ryouichi held his tanto with the blade poised downwards and had his ninjato readied to attack or defend. He wanted to see what this man would say. He did not want to have to kill this man. If only he could get him to reconsider...
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:25 pm
"Have you lost all honor?! Have you no shame!? What is the way of the Meiji, but western ideals of greed and barbarism? The way of Bushido is proud! Honor, Duty to one's master, and self-sacrifice for a larger cause... these ideals will never be thrown away like the old regime has been. We of the Shinsengumi shall bring back Japan's lost honor, through any means necessary!" Hijikata yelled, swiping away the tanto with the blunt side of his katana.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:29 pm
"If you can only think of solving a conflict with the sword, than you are the barbarian!" Ryouichi yelled as Hijikata swiped his tanto away. The weapon fell on the floor, sliding out of reach. Ryouichi gripped his ninjato quickly with two hands and locked blades with the katana before he was sliced in half.

"Do you really wish to sacrifice so much for the old ways?" Ryouichi said through his clenched teeth. "Is it really worth all this bloodshed? Think rationally for once!"

Last edited by Chef on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:12 pm
"I've been thinking rationally for my entire life. Do you have any idea what this Meiji Era is doing to our people? We Japanese have solved our issues through the blade and arrow for ages. The blade is what keeps order, peace, and stability; supplementing the rightful ruler of the land. Delegation, under a corrupt regime is illogical and useless, don't you understand?! In this westernized world, WE HAVE NO FREEDOMS! All power is handed over to the new Emperor, privately chosen by the few. He is not divine! The only way to stop this corruption is through rightful justice, whether it be through force or not!"

Hijikata slashed again with great precision. The blade narrowly missed his opponents face, being blocked by the haft of the ninjato. A lock of his enemies hair fell to the ground, along with a drip of blood from a shallow gash upon his cheek. Hijikata held his blade straight out.

"I respect you for fighting as a warrior, and for backing a cause. Are you blind to what the government has done already... are you already forgetting your heritage. We fought a battle for many long years, ten years ago... Shinobu Ryuichi, have you already forgotten what the Ishin Shishi had done to your clan and their honor during the Bakumatsu?" Hijikata said.

He delved deep into Ryuichi's eyes. Even he could see the bottled up rage that the man still felt toward those who destroyed his clan. Hesitation and surprise were spotted soon after and Hijikata grinned.

"I am Vice-Captain of the Shinsengumi... do not think that I have not gathered my own information back when the good people of Kyoto saw us as their police rather than blood-lusting demons. Shinobu-san... you are right to give up on revenge, as indeed it only harbors more problems. But do not sully your families honor or your own by working with the very killers who destroyed your own clan. You can change this countries destiny if you work with the Shinsengumi, because... to be honest... the Bakumatsu isn't done yet."
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am
Ryouichi was stunned. How did they find out about me? he thought to himself, his heart racing. I thought I got away from that incident clean... Dammit... Perspiration rolled down Ryouichi's face. He glared at the man facing him. For him to bring that dreadful day back up was a sin that had to be punished...

"The Bakumatsu is over..." Ryouichi said, his voice shaking with anger. "And it always will be! I've already made my decisions. My family was slain by those men, but fighting back will do nothing but cause more or these incidents to happen. We have no power to change this world and get used to it!"

Ryouichi's eyes opened wide as he charged for another attack. He needed to make this man shut up. He needed to stop him from saying such things! With a loud yell, Ryouichi slashed the man's sword and quickly reverted to a stabbing move, attempting to pierce his opponent through the stomach.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:05 am
Hijikata was surprised by his opponents sudden rage-filled attack. He jumped back as the blade of his enemy suddenly stabbed forth, plunging toward his stomach. His teeth greeted as he felt the blade sink into his flesh half an inch. Catching a foot to the ground, he pushed off and escaped the full brunt of the stab. Putting a hand to his stomach, he felt that those the stab was not deep, it was bleeding very much. Grabbing a white cloth from his breast within his robes, he teared it and staunched the bleeding. His other hand gripped the hilt of his katana.

He looked to Ryouichi, a gaze most closely defined as disgusted pity. He met his opponents with his own question, though rhetorical and obscure, he was sure that his enemy knew what he meant.

"Does a warrior give into overwhelming odds?"

Even though truly, one man had not the power to change the course of change, together, the Shinsengumi worked hard to follow their goals. Hijikata firmly believed that one man could indeed at least try to make change, never giving up, like the old Samurai.
Chef
Chef
Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:37 pm
The tip of Ryouichi's blade dripped with blood. He had successfully connected with a stab move, though it did not go very deep. He swung his sword downwards, the blood flinging off and splattering on the ground. Ryouichi looked over to see the man still ready to fight on.

"Why don't you just give up?" Ryouichi asked the man. "It is useless to persist. Don't waste your life here! The Shinsengumi are over and will never rise again! Don't you see?"

Ryouichi gripped his ninjato with two hands, poised and ready to fight. If he had to kill this man in order to stop him, that was what he would do. He couldn't let these men overthrow a government that couldn't be stopped. If that happened, the people could be endangered, being caught in the crossfire of these men. He would not allow that to happen.

"If you are this ignorant, then one of us must die," Ryouichi said, going into a defensive stance. "If you truly wish to end this quarrel with the sword, then come at me, samurai!"
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:42 pm
Hijikata tied the cloth around his wound like a tourniquet. He winced a bit in pain as it shot through his gut. Realizing that the battle was going no where, and their original mission was still unfinished, he glanced back to the other four members standing behind him. His face was now very serious and his Ki blasted outward. Before getting into his battle stance, he yelled an order.

"Heisuke, finish it!"

To the newcomers, the order was obscure, but Todo Heisuke understood it well. Suddenly unsheathing his own Katana, he dashed back toward the Police Headquarters. The last three of the Shinsengumi; Keisuke Yamanami, Sanosuke Harada, and Nagakura Shimpachi armed themselves well and blocked the entrances into the building. Their job now started again.

Heisuke Todo jumped through a broken window into a common room on the first floor. Dead bodies of police officers were found on the floor or still sitting on the couches and chairs. Dashing through the marble stoned hall in western style, he came to the room that Souji and Hayate were dueling in. They stood in deadlock at the foot of the high stairs. Souji gave him a quick glance, knowing exactly why he was back inside the HQ. Heisuke nodded to Onibasu, who stood nearby, then ran straight to the stairs leading to the top floor, and their targets room. At the top, he found two more policemen, frightened senseless by what was going on.

Heisuke stood, rigid in blood-spattered uniform, with a katana in a hand. Rushing at them full throttle, he let his blade fly, the blunt end smashing into their guts. The two officers fell unconscious to the ground. Heisuke smashed open the high wooden doors into the main quarters of Ujio Takeda, the Vice-Commissioner of the Kyoto Police Force. Takeda, a pot bellied, heavily bearded, westernized, man cowered in a dark corner of his room. He wore a night gown of white, easily spotted in the dark. Heisuke hefted his blade in a hand, slowly approaching him.

"By order of the Mibu-Ro Shinsengumi, you, Ujio Takeda, are under arrest for treason. You will be executed today." Heisuke said with a voice of indifference.

By all rights, Ujio Takeda was indeed a corrupt, twisted man who took control of the police force through use of noble title. The public knew him only as the obscure, yet untouchable leader of their police; however beneath the veil, he was a criminal and a well known supporter of the Ishin Shishi during the Bakumatsu. Before the Shinsengumi was disbanded publicly ten years ago, he was their last target given by the Tokugawa Regime.

Heisuke approached and grabbed the portly commissioner by the collar and partly dragged him from the shadowed room. The sun had started to rise, and people were starting to awaken to the chaos that had begun in their own city. However, a question spread like a virus through the populace causing unrest and insecurities; "Who were the bad guys?"

Ujio Takeda was restrained and taken by Heisuke down the stairs and past the duel still going on in the lobby. Souji covered his advance through the hall, not allowing Hayate to intervene. Soon, the two were out in the courtyard, behind the three other Shinsengumi, but directly seen by the two warriors who came to fight them. Shimpachi walked forward and took Ujio Takeda from Heisuke's grasp. His own blade flashed out from his sheath and lay by the man's throat. Heisuke kicked their prisoner in the knees, sending him to the ground kneeling.

"You are hereby sentenced to death by the Shinsengumi, and through justice. Your crimes are as follows." Shimpachi took an old scroll from his robes and read them. It was obviously from ten years ago. "...for treason to the Tokugawa and to the country of Japan. For ten accounts of rape. For seven accounts of cold blooded and pre-meditated murder. And finally, for inciting rebellion. For these crimes, you are to be executed by traditional means. May you die with honor."

Shimpachi suddenly lifted his blade above his head. To the two warrior's horror, in a silver arc, the blade swung as a French guillotine. The head of Ujio Takeda was severed easily from it's host's neck. His body collapsed to the ground in a growing pool of blood. Shimpachi bowed along with Heisuke in traditional style, then he ran a white cloth along the length of his glimmering blade.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:47 am
Hayate kept fighting viciously, matching Souji blow for blow. He had been trying to remain fully vigilant, but the battle had monopolized his mind. He had receded back into the mind of the warrior he was ten years ago, and all that existed at that time was the battle. However, with a brief pause, everything that he had payed no mind suddenly came to the front of his mind, and he came to realize his failure.

"Dammit!" He roared, suddenly losing his usual composure. He threw an accusing finger at Souji. "You!" he yelled, "You distracted me! You bastard!" Hayate put his hand over his face, trying to calm himself down, and soon re-assumed his usual smile. "I apologize for the outburst, Mr. Souji, that was... childish. Anyway, I believe that this battle no longer has any meaning, and now that morning has come, the risk of involving innocent civilians has increased, so I'd say it's time we end this. What say you to a temporary ceasefire? You got what you came for, so get out and we won't pursue you for the time being."

----------

"You'll have to forgive me, Kondo Isami," Hiraku said as he raised his sword, preparing to strike, "now, let's finish this quickly!" Hiraku dashed forward and swung downward at Isami's shoulder.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:40 am
Souji was taken aback for a moment with his opponent's sudden outburst. He knew that the time they spent at the HQ now, was completely worthless however, so he bowed with Hayate's last words. Looking up, his eyes weren't so hostile as they had been, and his fighting Ki had died down. Flicking his sword, a small spatter of blood shook off and fell to the ground. Wiping a clean white cloth down the length of his blade, he sheathed it after.

"Hazama Hayate, it has truly been an honor to fight one of such skill as you. May we meet again sometime, unless less trying of circumstances." Souji commented before turning around and walking toward the doors.

Onibasu was well behind, following as even she knew that their job was complete. As they exited the building, they found that the fight was still going on outside. Shimpachi stood by Heisuke before the body of their target. Kondo Isami and Toshizo Hijikata were still dueling their opponents. Yamanami still stood along with Sanosuke, awaiting further orders.

As the sun climbed higher into the sky, Souji knew that they had to retreat for the time being, as the police from outside of Kyoto's HQ would likely arrive soon. Whistling shrill into the air, he called out to his comrades.

Kondo blocked the blade of Hiraku, feeling the force of his enemy weigh down upon him. Pushing up and forward however, he drove Hiraku back and off balance. Mere split-seconds after, Kondo threw his leg forward, catching the back of Hiraku's heel, sending him to the ground. Kondo's blade now rested before his opponent's neck.

"This duel is over. I and my comrades must leave. Shall we meet again one day, our duel may continue."

Hijikata drew his smaller wakizashi by his side and rushed Ryouichi. Their blades flashed through the air in a mad flurry of strikes, each sounding off with a ring and clang. Their eyes were narrowed, animal-like, and menacing. No words were spoken, but their thoughts were transferred from strike to strike. By the time the shrill whistle call come from Souji, Hijikata and his opponent stood at opposite sides of their dueling ground once again.

Hijikata sighed and suddenly sheathed his blades. He could see the quizzical look upon Ryouichi's face.

"This battle between us has no meaning at the moment. Our mission is over. As a warrior, when you finally learn you are on the wrong side... seek out the Shinsengumi."

At that, all of the Shinsengumi regrouped and ran back into the shadows of the alleyways, unopposed by their shocked enemies. That day, the news would spread like a wildfire, that their Vice-Commissioner of Police was executed, and for reason that were just coming to light.
King Calamity
King Calamity

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:23 pm
Hayate sheathed his sword and made his way out of the building. He stepped out the front door to find Hiraku and Ryouichi, as well as some surviving police reinforcements.

"Don't bother pursuing the Shinsengumi," he said, "we don't need to get civilians involved." Hayate sighed, "We've lost this one," he said, "but I've no intention of being humiliated like this again."

Hayate walked over to Hiraku and helped him from the ground. "It appears that you, Hiraku, have suffered a more personal defeat."

"It appears I'm out of practice," Hiraku said, "I'll be sure to remedy that."

"Make sure you do," Hayate said, "You could've easily died tonight, and I'm sure there'll be no shortage of battles in the future." He looked at Ryouichi. "Who's this guy?"

-------------------

"I'm glad you allowed me to accompany you," Onibasu said to the men of the Shinsengumi, "I assure you any doubts I may have had are certainly gone now. Now I hope I can trust you not to get yourselves killed, as there's no doubt that losing you would be disastrous for our cause." Before they could respond, Onibasu ran off and into the shadows.
Kamikaze_X
Kamikaze_X
Admin

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 pm
At the disappearance of Onibasu, the Shinsengumi ran forth into the shadows. They came into a main street, people just starting to wake up and come out from their homes to enjoy a nice warm day in Kyoto. The Shinsengumi no longer were met with yells of fright, but with silence. Anyone could tell that that the people were unsure of the alignment of the Shinsengumi: were they good, or bad.

Quickly, the Shinsengumi made their way through an alleyway and toward their hideaway. Stopping in front, Kondo Isami walked forward, Hijikata close behind. Souji followed and turned to the others following.

"Listen, this hideaway is no longer necessary. The people are no longest frightened of us, as much as the police would like to think. And for now, the police will not be on our tail as much. We are packing up shop and moving to a new location, which has been procured by our spy, Yamazaki." Kondo stated.

"Yamazaki?! You found him?" Shimpachi asked with shock.

"Yes, he will be with us for now on." Hijikata replied.

With that, the Shinsengumi entered their hideaway for the last time, only to clean it out completely, and to move the next day to Fushimi-Ku, the southern most city in the prefecture of Kyoto. There, a large piece of property had been set away for them all, consisting of a dojo, a couple of buildings, and walled property. But, what Yamazaki had done was much more important, as he directed all their new recruits there.

"To Fushimi-Ku then..." Souji said with an excited grin.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum